Another one of the great films of Akira Kurosawa is about to receive its well-deserved upgrade to the Blu-ray format tomorrow, as Criterion is re-releasing his 1963 masterpiece High and Low, based on the same package and supplements it received in its DVD reboot a couple years ago. To mark the occasion here in this column, I thought it made sense to acquaint myself with Scandal, an earlier example (from 1950) of Kurosawa’s career-spanning analysis and critique of modern Japanese society, found in Eclipse Series 7: Postwar Kurosawa.
Even though he’s typically less celebrated for his contemporary dramas, compared to his awe-inspiring samurai and historical epics, everyone who’s come to admire Kurosawa for his ability to stage compelling spectacles set in the distant past owes themselves the opportunity to see what he achieved when he focused his attention on the contemporary context.
Scandal was the last film Kurosawa »
- David Blakeslee
Similar News ItemsAmy Winehouse
- Mark Ronson's Wife Files for Divorce After 5 Years of Marriage (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 May 2017, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Mark Ronson’s Wife Joséphine de La Baume Files for Divorce After 5 Years (From PEOPLE.com. 17 May 2017, 5:47 AM, PDT)
- Universal Music Group’s Lucian Grainge Named Cannes Lions Media Person of the Year (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 30 April 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Former News Corp. Exec David Haslingden Sells Business to Blue Ant (Exclusive) (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- Upfronts 2017: Grading the Networks’ Presentations (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Roger Ailes Leaves Long Shadow at Fox With Complicated Legacy (From Variety - TV News. 23 May 2017, 6:30 AM, PDT)
- Nine Unfilmed Akira Kurosawa Screenplays Acquired for Production (From The Film Stage. 24 May 2017, 4:54 AM, PDT)
- The Eclipse Viewer – Episode 56 – Postwar Kurosawa [Part 1] (From CriterionCast. 22 May 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Unfinished Akira Kurosawa project goes into production (From ScreenDaily. 18 May 2017, 6:00 AM, PDT)