Kevin Brownlow has won a lifetime-achievement Oscar and made superb films. So why isn't he better known?
On 13 November last year Kevin Brownlow received an honorary Academy Award for lifetime achievement, alongside Francis Ford Coppola (Jean-Luc Godard didn't turn up). In his letter of nomination, Martin Scorsese declared that "Mr Brownlow is a giant among film historians and preservationists, known and justifiably respected throughout the world for his multiple achievements: as the author of The Parade's Gone By, a definitive history of the silent era, and . . . a biography of David Lean . . . and as the director with Andrew Mollo of two absolutely unique fiction films, Winstanley (1975) and It Happened Here (1964) . . . On a broader level, you might say that Mr Brownlow is film history." This sums up pretty well the extraordinary record of a remarkable Englishman.
But while Brownlow's achievements – as a historian of film, in preserving and restoring silent-era classics, and »
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese (I)
- Japan Box Office: ‘Your Name’ Reclaims Top Spot After Five Months On Release (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2017, 9:09 PM, PST)
- From Kevin Costner to ‘Kubo,’ Left-Field Oscar Nominations That Could Happen (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2017, 1:32 PM, PST)
- Abbas Kiarostami Honored by Writers Guild of America West (From Variety - Film News. 23 January 2017, 10:41 AM, PST)
Francis Ford Coppola
- The Corleone Family get a range of Godfather Pop! Vinyl figures (From Flickeringmyth. 22 January 2017, 4:00 PM, PST)
- Mickey Rourke Signs With Apa (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 19 January 2017, 9:29 AM, PST)
- Francis Ford Coppola’s wines to be only brand served at Oscars for three years (From The Guardian - Film News. 18 January 2017, 7:00 AM, PST)
- No Highway in the Sky (From Trailers from Hell. 21 January 2017, 10:26 AM, PST)
- Looking Back 50 Years: A New Generation Takes Over (From Cinelinx. 18 January 2017, 6:16 AM, PST)
- Curzon to receive Bafta for outstanding contribution to cinema (From ScreenDaily. 17 January 2017, 2:10 AM, PST)