Roy Edward Disney, the son and nephew of The Walt Disney Company co-founders Roy O. Disney and Walt Disney, respectively, passed away yesterday after a yearlong battle with stomach cancer at the age of 79.
Roy E. Disney joined the Disney Company in 1953 and worked there 56+ years, eventually serving as Vice Chairman of its board of directors and chairman of Disney Animation from 1984-2003. Most recently he held the title of director emeritus and consultant. As the head of Disney Animation, Mr. Disney was credited with guiding the studio into a new golden age of animation with feature films such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.
Roy E. Disney was also a passionate defender of the company and its direction, leading a shareholder revolt not once but twice against the company and its board when he and others believed that Disney had lost its bearings. »
- Glenn Hauman
Similar News ItemsSteve Jobs
- Best of Fest – Docs: Citizenfour Continues Historic Run, Patricio Guzmán Makes Triumphant Return (From ioncinema. 3 March 2015, 6:00 AM, PST)
- What’s Up Doc?: Les Blank, Alex Gibney & Alex Winter Lead SXSW Charge (February 2015) (From ioncinema. 27 February 2015, 3:00 PM, PST)
- Popsugar Shout Out: "I'm a Feminist Who Thought Fifty Shades of Grey Was Fine" (From Popsugar. 24 February 2015, 11:55 PM, PST)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
- 'Beauty & The Beast' Cast News (From Access Hollywood. 5 March 2015, 11:48 AM, PST)
- Dan Stevens Joins Disney's Beauty And The Beast as The Beast (From The Daily BLAM!. 5 March 2015)
- Dan Stevens to Play the Beast in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' (From Moviefone. 5 March 2015, 2:41 AM, PST)
The Lion King (1994)
- Wme Signs Film And Theater Director Julie Taymor (From Deadline. 4 March 2015, 2:10 PM, PST)
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: A Treacherous Alliance and a White Collar Crime (From PEOPLE.com. 26 February 2015, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Headcanon Accepted! Bard the Bowman and Thranduil are star-crossed Disney princesses (From Hitfix. 23 February 2015, 9:22 AM, PST)