The universe has conspired against me this week in various ways to admit this shameful confession: I have never seen Hoop Dreams, the one that always makes Greatest Documentaries and Worst Oscar Snubs lists. I can't really explain this except that my ears are allergic to the sound of shoes squeaking on gymnasium floors, which is like the omnipresent soundtrack of basketball. And it's as proud and loud as anything John Williams or Philip Glass would ever write. I hate that sound.
Out of curiosity I skipped to the movie's halfway point... 85 minutes in. Some older men are discussing which schools are most "involved" and then a young basketball player talks about the points he scored while mimicking scouts watching him. Then he eats pizza (mmm) with fellow players.
I'd quote it since he seems like an endearing character, this #41, but his accent is halfway impenetrable to me... probably one »
- NATHANIEL R
Similar News ItemsJohn Williams (I)
- Jurassic Park Live & Independence Day Live Head to the Royal Albert Hall (From HeyUGuys. 11 February 2016, 2:22 AM, PST)
- How Star Wars: The Force Awakens Should Have Ended (From ComicBookMovie. 9 February 2016, 3:51 PM, PST)
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Gets Edm Companion Album from Rick Rubin (From MovieWeb. 9 February 2016, 8:43 AM, PST)
Hoop Dreams (1994)
- Trivia Break: Best Original Song (From FilmExperience. 10 February 2016, 4:00 AM, PST)
- Errol Morris, Wim Wenders executive-produce drones doc (From ScreenDaily. 9 February 2016, 11:21 PM, PST)
- Watch Free Documentaries in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Kartemquin Films (From Movies.com. 25 January 2016, 8:30 PM, PST)
- Best Classical Albums of 2015, Part Two (From CultureCatch. 11 January 2016, 9:17 PM, PST)
- 10 Best Movies and TV Shows to Stream in January (From Rolling Stone. 6 January 2016, 12:54 PM, PST)
- The 10 Best Film Scores of 2015 (From SoundOnSight. 3 January 2016, 12:57 PM, PST)