President Obama's call for Anthony Weiner to resign may have been unavoidable, but it kept what has to be history's least sexually satisfying sex scandal in the headlines for another day-and it won't push the congressman out the door. After all, he's got nothing to gain by going, says Eric Alterman.
"I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign,'' President Obama told Today's Ann Curry-thereby ensuring that we would spend at least another day discussing Anthony Weiner's not-so-private parts and the implications thereof.
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Media's Selective Sex Scandal Savagery
This may have been unavoidable. Ducking the question would have looked like a kind of endorsement of Weiner's weird behavior, so instead Obama made sure that his agenda would be buried beneath, um, Weiner's you-know-what for one more day.
It was a rare misstep in a scandal that, »
- Eric Alterman
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Montel Williams -- Barks at 'Homeboy' Obama ... Fix Veterans' Medical Problems (From TMZ. 31 July 2014, 2:20 AM, PDT)
- Speed Read: Who Did Andi Pick on the Bachelorette Finale? (From Popsugar. 29 July 2014, 5:28 AM, PDT)
- President Obama Reveals Childhood Crush On Linda Ronstadt (From Uinterview. 28 July 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
Ann Curry (I)
- Meredith Vieira Talks Matt Lauer and Ann Curry's "Mishandled" Today Show Fallout: "S--- Happens" (From Us Weekly. 31 July 2014, 6:19 AM, PDT)
- 10 Biting Lessons We Learned from 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' (From Rolling Stone. 30 July 2014, 8:05 PM, PDT)
- The Biz: Analyzing Matt Lauer's Today Show Contract Renewal (From TVGuide - Breaking News. 13 June 2014, 4:01 PM, PDT)
- Sydney Leathers -- Gets Tattoo To Celebrate Weinergate Anniversary (From TMZ. 23 July 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- John Ostrander: Old Star Trek Tech (From Comicmix. 13 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- The art of the public apology: 19 takes on 'I'm sorry' (From EW.com - PopWatch. 27 June 2014, 6:08 AM, PDT)