President Obama's call for Anthony Weiner to resign may have been unavoidable, but it kept what has to be history's least sexually satisfying sex scandal in the headlines for another day-and it won't push the congressman out the door. After all, he's got nothing to gain by going, says Eric Alterman.
"I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign,'' President Obama told Today's Ann Curry-thereby ensuring that we would spend at least another day discussing Anthony Weiner's not-so-private parts and the implications thereof.
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Media's Selective Sex Scandal Savagery
This may have been unavoidable. Ducking the question would have looked like a kind of endorsement of Weiner's weird behavior, so instead Obama made sure that his agenda would be buried beneath, um, Weiner's you-know-what for one more day.
It was a rare misstep in a scandal that, »
- Eric Alterman
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- Barack Obama's Final Goodbye (Video) (From TMZ. 20 January 2017, 10:40 AM, PST)
- Donald Trump’s Twitter Header Used a Photo from Barack Obama’s 2009 Inauguration (From PEOPLE.com. 20 January 2017, 10:33 AM, PST)
- Potus Twitter Account Switches to Trump, Drops 10 Million Followers (From The Wrap. 20 January 2017, 10:23 AM, PST)
Ann Curry (I)
- ‘Today’ Moves Closer to Dethroning ‘Good Morning America’ (From Variety - TV News. 6 December 2016, 9:01 AM, PST)
- Savannah Guthrie Re-Ups at Today (From TVLine.com. 5 December 2016, 6:46 AM, PST)
- Matt Lauer Signs $20 Million a Year Contract With 'Today' Show (From Entertainment Tonight. 30 November 2016, 11:11 AM, PST)
- The Best Movies Directed by Women in 2016 (From FilmSchoolRejects. 18 January 2017, 9:43 AM, PST)
- “I Have to Feel Sincere and Real When I Do It”: Joanna Fang on the Lifestyle Work of the Foley Artist (From Filmmaker Magazine. 17 January 2017, 6:00 AM, PST)
- CAA Signs 'Weiner' Production Company Edgeline Films (Exclusive) (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 11 January 2017, 4:02 PM, PST)