President Obama's call for Anthony Weiner to resign may have been unavoidable, but it kept what has to be history's least sexually satisfying sex scandal in the headlines for another day-and it won't push the congressman out the door. After all, he's got nothing to gain by going, says Eric Alterman.
"I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign,'' President Obama told Today's Ann Curry-thereby ensuring that we would spend at least another day discussing Anthony Weiner's not-so-private parts and the implications thereof.
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Media's Selective Sex Scandal Savagery
This may have been unavoidable. Ducking the question would have looked like a kind of endorsement of Weiner's weird behavior, so instead Obama made sure that his agenda would be buried beneath, um, Weiner's you-know-what for one more day.
It was a rare misstep in a scandal that, »
- Eric Alterman
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama (I)
- Shonda Rhimes to Receive WGA Achievement Award (From Thompson on Hollywood. 17 December 2014, 10:28 AM, PST)
- 'Boyhood' Is Barack Obama's Favorite Movie of the Year (From The Hollywood Reporter. 17 December 2014, 10:04 AM, PST)
- Into the Woods review: trees fall in a forest, making one hell of a sound (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 December 2014, 6:59 AM, PST)
Ann Curry (I)
- What in the World Is Going on at 'The Today Show'? (From Moviefone. 21 November 2014, 4:15 AM, PST)
- NBC Says It Stands by Current ‘Today’ Team (From Variety - TV News. 19 November 2014, 9:39 AM, PST)
- Today Show Hosts' Halloween Costumes Through the Years—See the Pics! (From E! Online. 28 October 2014, 6:45 PM, PDT)
- 'Tail! Spin!': Theater Review (From The Hollywood Reporter. 2 October 2014)
- Sydney Leathers -- Gets Tattoo To Celebrate Weinergate Anniversary (From TMZ. 23 July 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- John Ostrander: Old Star Trek Tech (From Comicmix. 13 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)