President Obama's call for Anthony Weiner to resign may have been unavoidable, but it kept what has to be history's least sexually satisfying sex scandal in the headlines for another day-and it won't push the congressman out the door. After all, he's got nothing to gain by going, says Eric Alterman.
"I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign,'' President Obama told Today's Ann Curry-thereby ensuring that we would spend at least another day discussing Anthony Weiner's not-so-private parts and the implications thereof.
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Media's Selective Sex Scandal Savagery
This may have been unavoidable. Ducking the question would have looked like a kind of endorsement of Weiner's weird behavior, so instead Obama made sure that his agenda would be buried beneath, um, Weiner's you-know-what for one more day.
It was a rare misstep in a scandal that, »
- Eric Alterman
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama (I)
- President Barack Obama Dines at Giuliana Rancic and Bill Rancic's Rpm Steak Chicago—All the Details! (From E! Online. 2 October 2014, 5:25 AM, PDT)
- Boston Herald Apologizes for ‘Watermelon’ Cartoon Mocking President Obama (Photo) (From The Wrap. 1 October 2014, 2:18 PM, PDT)
- TV Review: ‘Homeland,’ Season 4 (From Variety - TV News. 1 October 2014, 7:30 AM, PDT)
Ann Curry (I)
- ‘Meet the Press’ Transition is Only the Latest Gaffe for Comcast’s NBC News Division (From Variety - TV News. 28 August 2014, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- Ann Curry Comforts David Gregory After ‘Meet the Press’ Boot (From The Wrap. 15 August 2014, 12:55 PM, PDT)
- Chuck Todd Taking Over 'Meet The Press' From David Gregory (From Uinterview. 14 August 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Tail! Spin!': Theater Review (From The Hollywood Reporter. 2 October 2014)
- Sydney Leathers -- Gets Tattoo To Celebrate Weinergate Anniversary (From TMZ. 23 July 2014, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- John Ostrander: Old Star Trek Tech (From Comicmix. 13 July 2014, 5:00 AM, PDT)