President Obama's former ambassador to China declared Tuesday he'll announce his candidacy against his old boss "a week from today." The Daily Beast's McKay Coppins reports from the event. Plus, read about the Mormon moment in this week's issue of Newsweek.
Jon Huntsman, Jr. told a VIP crowd of journalists, diplomats, and CEOs Tuesday afternoon that he plans to announce his presidential candidacy in one week, joking that "since we're in selected company and there aren't many people listening in" he could safely declare his intentions.
Related story on The Daily Beast: Why Obama's Still Untouchable in 2012
Huntsman, a moderate Republican who is fluent in Mandarin, is expected to announce his candidacy at Liberty State Park in New Jersey on June 21. His campaign will be based in Florida.
Tuesday's event was a Thomson Reuters luncheon featuring a discussion about the rising power of China, between Huntsman-who served as U. »
- McKay Coppins
Similar News ItemsBarack Obama
- ‘Morning Joe’ Credits Obama’s ‘Jedi Mind Tricks’ for Trump Flip-Flops (Video) (From The Wrap. 26 June 2017, 6:14 AM, PDT)
- Chelsea Manning Says She ‘Lost My Voice from Screaming So Much’ at the New York City Pride Parade (From PEOPLE.com. 26 June 2017, 5:42 AM, PDT)
- Chance the Rapper Gets the Bet Awards Crowd on Its Feet After Surprise Introduction from Michelle Obama (From Entertainment Tonight. 25 June 2017, 8:30 PM, PDT)
Mitt Romney (I)
- Martha Thomases: Friends, Americans, Countrymen… (From Comicmix. 16 June 2017, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Hollywood blasts Trump climate deal exit (From ScreenDaily. 1 June 2017, 3:39 PM, PDT)
- Hollywood blasts Trump climate accord exit (From ScreenDaily. 1 June 2017, 3:39 PM, PDT)
- ‘Onward Together!’ Hillary Clinton, With New Slogan, Will Help Fund The Trump #Resistance (From PEOPLE.com. 5 May 2017, 10:18 AM, PDT)
- Late-night hosts on Hillary Clinton's return: 'Refreshing to hear a politician talk in full sentences' (From The Guardian - TV News. 3 May 2017, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- Colbert Ignores Anger Over Trump Joke – Instead Targets Clinton, President’s 2020 Campaign Ad (From The Wrap. 2 May 2017, 9:02 PM, PDT)