Romney showed front-runner status, while Bachmann proved she belonged on stage. Mark McKinnon on why they shone-and the rest of the debaters flopped Monday night.Plus: More Daily Beast contributors on the Gop debate
The two clear winners in the Gop debate hosted Monday night in New Hampshire were former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota. Political debates are all about expectations. Mitt Romney had more than anyone to lose. Michele Bachmann had more than anyone to gain. Romney deftly fended off attacks particularly on health care, and Bachmann proved she's smart and credible, and has every right to be on the stage.
Related story on The Daily Beast: The Gop's Bin Laden Jitters
The rest were window dressing.
While former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum leapt out forcefully for a question or two, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich proved the depth of his knowledge, »
- Mark McKinnon
Similar News ItemsDonald Trump
- First Dibs: How Did Kevin Spacey’s Face Wind Up On Kate Mara’s Boobs? (From TheFabLife - Movies. 19 April 2014, 4:00 AM, PDT)
- Kim Novak speaks out against Oscar night 'bullies' (From EW.com - PopWatch. 18 April 2014, 8:19 AM, PDT)
- Kim Novak Fires Back at Oscar "Bullies," Says Face Injection Jokes Sent Her "Into a Tailspin" (From E! Online. 18 April 2014, 8:05 AM, PDT)
- Bears Review (From We Got This Covered. 17 April 2014, 12:59 PM, PDT)
- Tribeca: Between Nas and 'Begin Again,' what are the festival's must-see movies (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 16 April 2014, 9:17 AM, PDT)
- 'Fargo' Reviews Are In: How Does The Show Compare To The Movie? (From MTV Movie News. 15 April 2014, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Joni Ernst's Gop Senate hog-castration ad gets 'Colbert Report,' 'The Soup' and more late-night attention (From Pop2it. 27 March 2014, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- Stephen Colbert Loves Gop Castration Candidate (Video) (From The Wrap. 27 March 2014, 8:15 AM, PDT)
- Netflix Acquires 3D Printing Documentary ‘Print the Legend’ (From Variety - Film News. 26 March 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)