Black and Hispanic kids spend way too much time on electronic diversions. Michael Medved on why TV addiction could cripple their future, and how it can be reduced.
Educators who worry about the persistent achievement gap between white and minority youngsters ought to pay more attention to a disastrous development hidden in plain sight: the terrible (and rapidly growing) over-use of entertainment media by children of color.
Related story on The Daily Beast: How Michelle Got Her Fashion Mojo Back
Focused efforts by parents, community groups, teachers and the students themselves to limit their immersion in electronic diversions might bring more immediate improvements in educational outcomes than expensive and bureaucratic schemes to restructure schools.
A powerfully disturbing new report by the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that black and Hispanic kids consume 4-1/2 more hours of media every day than their white counterparts-investing a startling total of more than 90 hours a week on television, »
- Michael Medved
Similar News ItemsMichelle Obama
- Matthew Morrison, Kristin Chenoweth headline TLC’s Broadway at the White House (From ChannelGuideMag. 25 November 2015, 5:00 PM, PST)
- Jimmy Fallon got Jennifer Lawrence to do a bunch of ridiculous dance moves (From Hitfix. 19 November 2015, 8:09 AM, PST)
- Jane the Virgin Recap: Milestones (From Vulture. 16 November 2015, 7:05 PM, PST)
- Mike Huckabee Defends Kim Davis, Compares Same-Sex Marriage Decision To Dred Scott (From Uinterview. 11 September 2015, 4:03 PM, PDT)
- Ten Best: “Pop Culture” Documentaries (From Blogomatic3000. 18 August 2015, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Evan Sayet’s Stand: Comic Hits The Road (From Monsters and Critics. 16 May 2015, 10:33 AM, PDT)