Black and Hispanic kids spend way too much time on electronic diversions. Michael Medved on why TV addiction could cripple their future, and how it can be reduced.
Educators who worry about the persistent achievement gap between white and minority youngsters ought to pay more attention to a disastrous development hidden in plain sight: the terrible (and rapidly growing) over-use of entertainment media by children of color.
Related story on The Daily Beast: How Michelle Got Her Fashion Mojo Back
Focused efforts by parents, community groups, teachers and the students themselves to limit their immersion in electronic diversions might bring more immediate improvements in educational outcomes than expensive and bureaucratic schemes to restructure schools.
A powerfully disturbing new report by the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that black and Hispanic kids consume 4-1/2 more hours of media every day than their white counterparts-investing a startling total of more than 90 hours a week on television, »
- Michael Medved
Similar News ItemsMichelle Obama
- Michelle Obama Looks Stylish In A Burberry Trench Coat In Ireland (From HollywoodLife. 17 June 2013, 11:38 AM, PDT)
- President Obama Hugs Sasha & Malia In Loving Father’s Day Pic (From HollywoodLife. 17 June 2013, 8:41 AM, PDT)
- Obama Nominates HBO Exec James Costos as Ambassador to Spain (From Variety - TV News. 14 June 2013, 1:57 PM, PDT)
- What the nominations say about America (From The Guardian - Film News. 21 February 2013, 4:06 PM, PST)
- Should 'true story' films such as Zero Dark Thirty and Argo be rated L for lie? | Simon Jenkins (From The Guardian - Film News. 17 January 2013, 4:07 PM, PST)
- Seven great rebel portraits of the ’60s and ’70s (From SoundOnSight. 26 May 2012, 9:57 PM, PDT)