Updated through 5/23.
"Bill Hunter, the archetypal working class Australian of a multitude of movies including the quirky trio Muriel's Wedding, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and Strictly Ballroom has died of cancer," reports the AP. He was 71. "The prolific star of Australian movie and television screens with a distinctively broad and gravelly accent and an authoritative no-nonsense style remained an actor in demand until the end. He recently narrated a two-part television documentary about the floods and cyclone that became Australia's most expensive natural disasters early this year…. Director Baz Luhrmann described Hunter in a statement last week as 'the go-to iconic actor to synthesize quintessential Australian-ness.'"
"Of all his work, Hunter's portrayal of Major Barton in Peter Weir's classic 1981 war epic Gallipoli is widely regarded as his finest," write Jim Schembri and Karl Quinn for the Sydney Morning Herald. "Charged with playing a »
Similar News ItemsClint Eastwood
- Every Best Picture Oscar Winner, Ranked From Worst to Best (From Moviefone. 6 May 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey', 'Selma', 'Lost River' and More on DVD & Blu-ray This Week (From Rope Of Silicon. 5 May 2015, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- The hilarious and bizarre dimensions of 'Veep' star Gary Cole (From Hitfix. 4 May 2015, 4:36 PM, PDT)
- Carey Mulligan Just Says No, Goes Full Feminist with 'Far from the Madding Crowd' and 'Suffragette' (From Thompson on Hollywood. 4 May 2015, 4:28 AM, PDT)
- 3D in the 21st Century. Come Into My World: The Dimensions of "Avatar" (From MUBI. 1 May 2015, 7:09 AM, PDT)
- 'Far From The Madding Crowd's' Carey Mulligan 'constantly fighting' not to sing in movies (From Hitfix. 30 April 2015, 2:23 PM, PDT)
- Cannes 2015: Audiard, Haynes & Director's Fortnight (From CineVue. 30 April 2015, 12:41 AM, PDT)
- 'Finding Neverland': Theater Review (From The Hollywood Reporter. 15 April 2015, 12:45 PM, PDT)
- Daily | Interviews | Scorsese, Hertzfeldt, Bong (From Keyframe. 4 April 2015, 7:51 AM, PDT)