Relentlessly prolific filmmaker Takashi Miike turns his hand to the period samurai genre with 13 Assassins. Here’s Nick’s review…
Takashi Miike is a difficult director to pin down. Most famous for his seminal horror, Audition, and his ultra-violent black comedy thriller, Ichi The Killer, he's also directed another eighty-odd films, and regularly churns out three or four a year. This is a man who seemingly makes films for fun, across a wide range of genres, and at a phenomenal rate, yet has attained a status in the West as this uncompromising auteur who's at the forefront of extreme Asian cinema.
So, when news came through that he was going to be tackling a period samurai film, a remake of the 1963 film, Jûsan-nin no shikaku, people were excited. Rightly so, as it turns out, as 13 Assassins is an absolute blast.
While those looking for ultra-violent thrills on a level Miike »
Similar News ItemsTakashi Miike
- Clips Tease Takashi Miike’s Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld (From Dread Central. 9 February 2015, 11:53 AM, PST)
- Watch: New Trailers For Takashi Miike's 'Yakuza Apocalypse' & 'Lion Standing Against The Wind' (From The Playlist. 9 February 2015, 9:16 AM, PST)
- Takashi Miike To Direct "Terra Formars" (From Dark Horizons. 7 February 2015, 6:27 PM, PST)
- Teaser: Miike’s Vampire Movie, Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War of the Underworld (From shocktillyoudrop. 10 February 2015, 7:11 AM, PST)
- Takashi Miike directing live-action adaptation of Terra Formars (From Flickeringmyth. 9 February 2015, 2:31 AM, PST)
- Exclusive: CEO Alex Bafer tells us about the return of Carolco (From Den of Geek. 25 January 2015, 11:40 AM, PST)
- Epic War Movie ‘Japan’s Longest Day’ To Be Remade (From Variety - Film News. 9 December 2014, 12:20 AM, PST)
- Koji Yakusho Wins Toshiro Mifune Award at Kyoto Fest Closing (From Variety - Film News. 19 October 2014, 9:10 AM, PDT)
- The World Of Kanako Review [Lff 2014] (From We Got This Covered. 13 October 2014, 4:02 PM, PDT)