Relentlessly prolific filmmaker Takashi Miike turns his hand to the period samurai genre with 13 Assassins. Here’s Nick’s review…
Takashi Miike is a difficult director to pin down. Most famous for his seminal horror, Audition, and his ultra-violent black comedy thriller, Ichi The Killer, he's also directed another eighty-odd films, and regularly churns out three or four a year. This is a man who seemingly makes films for fun, across a wide range of genres, and at a phenomenal rate, yet has attained a status in the West as this uncompromising auteur who's at the forefront of extreme Asian cinema.
So, when news came through that he was going to be tackling a period samurai film, a remake of the 1963 film, Jûsan-nin no shikaku, people were excited. Rightly so, as it turns out, as 13 Assassins is an absolute blast.
While those looking for ultra-violent thrills on a level Miike »
Similar News ItemsTakashi Miike
- Takashi Miike's 'Blade Of The Immortal' cuts UK deal (From ScreenDaily. 24 May 2017, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- ‘Queen Sugar’ Season 2 Trailer: Family Tension Is at Its Peak in Ava DuVernay’s Own Series (From Indiewire. 22 May 2017, 1:31 PM, PDT)
- ‘Numb, at the Edge of the End’ Trailer: Hayden Christensen Struggles With Ptsd in New Thriller (From Indiewire. 22 May 2017, 9:52 AM, PDT)
- Cannes 2017: Blade Of The Immortal review: Dir. Takashi Miike (2017) (From The Hollywood News. 18 May 2017, 7:12 AM, PDT)
- Bonus Feature Clips from La La Land, Now available on 4K, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 25 April 2017, 8:52 AM, PDT)
- La La Land Coming to Digital HD April 11th and 4K, Blu-ray & DVD April 25th (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 13 March 2017, 9:52 AM, PDT)
- Cannes Film Review: ‘Oh Lucy!’ (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- Gaga, Wild Bunch re-team on sales of Kore-eda's 'The Third Murder' (From ScreenDaily. 10 May 2017, 12:41 AM, PDT)
- Josh Hartnett, Shinobu Terajima-starrer 'Oh Lucy!' picked up by Elle Driver (From ScreenDaily. 3 May 2017, 3:07 AM, PDT)