28 August 2009 7:00 PM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »
Poor Ang Lee. The last four years have seen the versatile helmer do some of his best work of his career (which is saying something). And yet the American movie gods have sprinkled on the rain.
The karma started nearly four years ago when an Oscar best picture win that was rightly his, for the socially conscious and richly character-driven "Brokeback Mountain," leaked away to the faux social consciousness and thinly-veiled caricatures of "Crash."
The director then goes and makes what is arguably the most ambitious film of his career -- the culturally important, narratively compelling and beautifully photographed "Lust, Caution" -- but finds the period Chinese-language pic released in the toughest market for foreign and specialty fare in a generation, resulting in a modest $4 million domestic take (though a huge overseas haul).
Lee then dramatically switches course to make the entertaining and likable "Taking Woodstock." »
Similar News ItemsBrokeback Mountain (2005)
- Are You Ready for the Most Exciting Oscar Race in Years? (From Variety - Film News. 19 September 2017, 8:25 AM, PDT)
- Fox Searchlight Rebounds From ‘Birth of a Nation’ and Returns as a Major Oscar Player (From Indiewire. 18 September 2017, 11:10 AM, PDT)
- 12 Actors Who Were Almost Batman (From MovieWeb. 15 September 2017, 4:00 PM, PDT)
Taking Woodstock (2009)
- A steamy day in movie history (From FilmExperience. 28 August 2017, 7:22 AM, PDT)
- Interview, Audio: Comedian Demetri Martin on His Film ‘Dean’ (From HollywoodChicago.com. 1 June 2017, 8:36 AM, PDT)
- ‘Making History’ Star Adam Pally Arrested for Misdemeanor Drug Possession (From Variety - TV News. 29 March 2017, 3:02 PM, PDT)
Ang Lee (I)
- Ang Lee’s ‘Gemini Man’ Starring Will Smith Gets 2019 Release Date at Paramount (From Variety - Film News. 6 July 2017, 4:07 PM, PDT)
- Ang Lee's 'Gemini Man' With Will Smith Gets October 2019 Release (From The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News. 6 July 2017, 3:55 PM, PDT)
- Ang Lee To Direct Long-Gestating Sci-Fi Action Thriller ‘The Gemini Man’ (From The Playlist. 24 April 2017, 7:40 AM, PDT)