He tells WENN, "It made me want a different kind of love in my life, that's for sure. It made me absolutely not want to ever feel this level of pain that I was willing to do to myself and other people for the character. It made me want to stay away from the kind of relationship where you're in a cycle of destruction with each other.
"After this film I really hungered to find a much lighter tone in my love life. I was very proud that I went there for the film but I didn't feel for one second the desire to live that in real life. Now I completely want something that is saner and stabler and solid and loving.
"I think, before, I probably had that bad boy, dangerous thing, wanting that bad girl. I really have shifted away from that, particularly when, in my experience, you've done that for years and years. You end up angry and miserable and heartbroken afterwards.
"Looking back, I think, 'How did I spend seven years doing that?' and I'm sure the woman I was with is saying the exact same thing."
Lucas, whose exes include actresses Salma Hayek and Alexa Davalos, knows The Notebook star McAdams is the girl for him - because he shares so many passions with her: "Rachel is actually probably one of the most truly committed environmental people I've ever come in contact with in my life. She lives it. We have that immediately in common."
Similar News ItemsRachel McAdams (I)
- 7 Stars Dressed Like Everyday Appliances (From Entertainment Tonight. 22 October 2014, 12:36 AM, PDT)
- Khloe Kardashian Debuts Crazy Braids: A Ranking of Her Best & Worst Hair Styles (From Entertainment Tonight. 21 October 2014)
- Black & White & Pink All Over (From Access Hollywood. 20 October 2014, 12:15 PM, PDT)
- Speed Sisters to premiere as Ajyal opener (From ScreenDaily. 19 October 2014, 3:00 AM, PDT)
- The Past, Present, and Future of Real-Time Films Part Four (From SoundOnSight. 17 October 2014, 8:01 PM, PDT)
- Suite Française among Afm screenings (From ScreenDaily. 16 October 2014, 3:53 PM, PDT)
The Notebook (2004)
- There's a Good Reason For Your Recurring Notebook Nostalgia (From BuzzSugar. 22 October 2014, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- There's a Good Reason For Your Recurring Notebook Nostalgia (From Popsugar. 22 October 2014, 3:30 AM, PDT)
- Nicholas Sparks On 'Best Of Me,' Working With James Marsden [Exclusive] (From Uinterview. 21 October 2014, 9:00 PM, PDT)