Horror writer Stephen King has served up a fright for Twilight author Stephenie Meyer, insisting she "can't write worth a darn". King, the writer of classics like Carrie and Misery, has gone public with his critique of in-vogue Utah-based novelist Meyer in the upcoming issue of USA Weekend magazine.
He starts by complimenting J.K. Rowling on her Harry Potter books, and then slates Meyer.
He says, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.
"It’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because it’s not overtly sexual.
"A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."
Similar News ItemsStephen King (I)
- The Dark Tower Movie Trailer that Leaked In Case you Missed It (From TVovermind.com. 26 March 2017, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- 'Sinister 2' director signs on to 'Eli' for Broad Green (From ScreenDaily. 24 March 2017, 3:20 PM, PDT)
- The Mist TV Series Showrunner Talks Adapting the Novella & Stephen King’s Reaction to the Pilot Episode (From DailyDead. 24 March 2017, 2:08 PM, PDT)
- Paterson; Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them; The Edge of Seventeen and more – review (From The Guardian - Film News. 26 March 2017, 12:00 AM, PDT)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 3-D (From Trailers from Hell. 25 March 2017, 11:57 AM, PDT)
- Industry reacts to London terror attack (From ScreenDaily. 23 March 2017, 5:57 AM, PDT)
- The Space Between Us review (From Den of Geek. 13 February 2017, 9:19 AM, PST)
- Fifty Shades Darker Review (From HeyUGuys. 9 February 2017, 7:02 PM, PST)
- Lionsgate expands German-speaking territory partnerships (From ScreenDaily. 16 November 2016, 11:32 AM, PST)