Meryl Streep has compared herself to Hollywood superstar Will Smith - because the success of hit movie Mamma Mia! is reminiscent of the actor's achievements. The Abba-themed musical was a box office smash around the globe last year, with estimated takings of $573 million (£406 million) worldwide.
She says, "I'm like Will Smith now! Mamma Mia!... It changed everything. Now the studio bosses say, 'Let's put this movie in the Mamma Mia! summer slot, like that's my slot, as if I were Will Smith or something.
"I'm pleased to say my family and my friends and other actors don't see me any differently, but in Hollywood it's just incredible how the perception of me has changed."
Similar News ItemsMeryl Streep
- Film News Roundup: Music Biopics ‘Dalida,’ ‘Django’ Land U.S. Releases (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 4:27 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott Race to the Finish (From Variety - Film News. 18 August 2017, 12:04 PM, PDT)
- The Weinstein Company launches animation label Mizchief (From ScreenDaily. 18 August 2017, 6:24 AM, PDT)
Men in Black (1997)
- Steven Soderbergh Reveals 2 Versions Of HBO Project ‘Mosaic’ (From The Playlist. 18 August 2017, 1:48 PM, PDT)
- Peter Dinklage Asks Game Of Thrones Fans To Stop Buying Huskies (From Look to the Stars. 16 August 2017, 10:30 AM, PDT)
- Peter Dinklage to Game of Thrones Fans: Buying Direwolf Huskies Hurts 'All the Deserving Homeless Dogs' (From PEOPLE.com. 15 August 2017, 10:23 AM, PDT)
I Am Legend (2007)
- Queen of the South Renewed For Season Three (From CineMovie. 10 August 2017, 6:16 PM, PDT)
- Queen of the South Scores Season 3 Renewal at USA Network (From TVLine.com. 10 August 2017, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Transformers: screenwriter Akiva Goldsman leaves franchise (From Den of Geek. 3 August 2017, 11:02 PM, PDT)