The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Kourtney Kardashian & Chrissy Teigen Party in Their PJs at Jessica Alba's Birthday Bash for Hubby Cash Warren (From Entertainment Tonight. 15 January 2017, 5:24 PM, PST)
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend Rock Fried Chicken-themed Onesies at Hollywood Pajama Party (From PEOPLE.com. 15 January 2017, 11:37 AM, PST)
- Beavis & Butt-Head: The Complete Collection Hits Blu-ray February (From Comicmix. 8 January 2017, 10:35 AM, PST)
- Jelani Cobb Tapped for Writers Guild East’s Walter Bernstein Award (From Variety - Film News. 11 January 2017, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Nominations Go To ‘Deadpool,’ ‘Star Trek Beyond’ and ‘Florence Foster Jenkins’ (From Indiewire. 11 January 2017, 8:18 AM, PST)
- Cher to Star in Lifetime Movie About the Flint Water Crisis (From PEOPLE.com. 6 January 2017, 9:26 AM, PST)
John Waters (I)
- Trailer Park: Chips get Raw with Their Finest Founder (From Blogomatic3000. 13 January 2017, 2:01 AM, PST)
- "Moonlight" Tops Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Awards (From Manny the Movie Guy. 12 January 2017, 4:05 PM, PST)
- Gay and Lesbian Critics Association Honor ‘Moonlight’ and ‘Jackie’ with Dorian Award Noms (From Indiewire. 12 January 2017, 12:29 PM, PST)