The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Best Movie Trailers of 2013 (Part One) (From SoundOnSight. 4 December 2013, 8:56 PM, PST)
- ’12 Years a Slave,’ ‘Fruitvale Station’ Excluded From WGA Awards (From Variety - Film News. 3 December 2013, 6:33 PM, PST)
- Spike Jonze on Jackass, Scarlett Johansson's erotic voice and techno love (From The Guardian - Film News. 29 November 2013, 5:12 AM, PST)
- Amanda Bynes Walks Dogs With Parents After Leaving Rehab--See the Pic! (From E! Online. 5 December 2013, 8:02 PM, PST)
- Amanda Bynes Leaves Rehab: See First Pics of the Actress After Nearly Six Months in Treatment (From E! Online. 5 December 2013, 12:00 PM, PST)
- Amanda Bynes Leaves Rehab, Plans to Study Fashion in College (From E! Online. 5 December 2013, 3:42 AM, PST)
John Waters (I)
- John Waters' Top 10 of 2013 Includes 'Spring Breakers' & 'After Tiller' (From FirstShowing.net. 2 December 2013, 1:37 PM, PST)
- John Waters Names Spring Breakers Top Film Of 2013 (From Upcoming-Movies.com. 30 November 2013, 11:27 AM, PST)
- The HeyUGuys Instant Watching Guide – November 18th 2013 (From HeyUGuys. 18 November 2013, 3:00 AM, PST)