The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Jackie Chan joins Joe Carnahan's Five Against A Bullet (From Den of Geek. 6 December 2016, 10:17 AM, PST)
- Gravitas Ventures Exploring Sale, Hires Investment Bank (From Variety - Film News. 1 December 2016, 10:11 AM, PST)
- MTV Digital Short ‘Love Reset’ Illustrates Damning Effects Of Media Representation — Exclusive (From Indiewire Television. 29 November 2016, 12:16 PM, PST)
- 10 Best, Worst and Wtf Things From NBC's 'Hairspray Live' (From Rolling Stone. 8 December 2016, 7:46 AM, PST)
- Hairspray Live!: Jennifer Hudson Singing "I Know Where I've Been" Is the 1 Performance You Need to See (From BuzzSugar. 8 December 2016, 6:20 AM, PST)
- 'Hairspray Live!': The Best, Worst and Weirdest Moments of NBC's Live Musical (From Entertainment Tonight. 7 December 2016, 9:35 PM, PST)
John Waters (I)
- John Waters’ Multiple Maniacs set for theatrical release in February (From Flickeringmyth. 8 December 2016, 10:45 PM, PST)
- ‘Hairspray Live!’ Hits Ratings & Viewership Low For NBC’s Live Musicals – Update (From Deadline TV. 8 December 2016, 10:42 AM, PST)
- Loved the Original Hairspray? This Cameo From the Live Show Will Make You Nostalgic (From BuzzSugar. 8 December 2016, 8:10 AM, PST)