The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Clips: Skiptrace, Chromite, Wake, Transformers (From Dark Horizons. 20 July 2016, 9:38 PM, PDT)
- Jackie Chan & Renny Harlin Team Up for Action Comedy Skiptrace [Trailer] (From QuietEarth. 19 July 2016, 3:47 PM, PDT)
- Jackie Chan is Still Kicking in U.S. Trailer For ‘Skiptrace’ (From The Film Stage. 19 July 2016, 11:55 AM, PDT)
- Ariana Grande Joins ‘Hairspray Live’ Cast on NBC (From Variety - TV News. 7 July 2016, 12:50 PM, PDT)
- Hairspray Live Adds Ariana Grande in Pivotal, Pigtailed Role (From TVLine.com. 7 July 2016, 12:26 PM, PDT)
- Ariana Grande Joins NBC's 'Hairspray Live!' as Penny Pingleton (From The Hollywood Reporter. 7 July 2016, 12:09 PM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Link Night (From FilmExperience. 14 July 2016, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- Trailer For John Waters’ Newly Restored Trash Cinema Masterpiece ‘Multiple Maniacs’ (From The Film Stage. 12 July 2016, 10:26 AM, PDT)
- Trailer For John Waters’ Notorious ‘Multiple Maniacs’ Newly Restored By The Criterion Collection (From The Playlist. 12 July 2016, 9:36 AM, PDT)