The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Skiptrace Starring Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville on Blu-ray Oct. 25th (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 8 October 2016, 6:17 PM, PDT)
- San Sebastian: New York’s Submarine Picks Up World Sales Rights to Takuji Masuda’s ‘Bunker77’ (From Variety - Film News. 23 September 2016, 7:32 AM, PDT)
- Shanghai Noon 3 Moves Forward with Napoleon Dynamite Director (From MovieWeb. 6 September 2016, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Happy Birthday Zac Efron: Our Top 5 Favourite Roles (From Cineplex. 18 October 2016, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Wamg Giveaway — Win The Late Bloomer Poster signed by the Cast and Director (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 16 October 2016, 4:59 PM, PDT)
- Not Only Is the Enchanted Sequel Happening, It Sounds Fantastic (From BuzzSugar. 7 October 2016, 10:35 AM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Joshua Reviews Juzo Itami’s Tampopo [Theatrical Review] (From CriterionCast. 21 October 2016, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- The Gore-Gore Guy: Herschell Gordon Lewis, Rest in Pieces (From Variety - Film News. 13 October 2016, 9:00 PM, PDT)
- 'The Greasy Strangler': The Story Behind 2016's Most Disgusting Movie (From Rolling Stone. 7 October 2016, 7:21 AM, PDT)