The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Tragedy On Set Of Jackie Chan's Skiptrace As Cameraman Drowns (From Twitch. 17 December 2014, 7:18 AM, PST)
- "Skiptrace" Cameraman Dies In Accident (From Dark Horizons. 17 December 2014, 7:14 AM, PST)
- Cinematographer Killed on Set of Jackie Chan’s ‘Skiptrace’ (From Variety - Film News. 17 December 2014, 3:15 AM, PST)
- ‘Smash’ Musical About Marilyn Monroe Hits the Stage in One-Night-Only Show (From Variety - TV News. 18 December 2014, 8:57 AM, PST)
- First poster for Lucasfilm’s Strange Magic (From Flickeringmyth. 18 December 2014, 7:12 AM, PST)
- 'Ahs' Star Kathy Bates on Her Hollywood Struggle: I Questioned the Value of What Actors Do (From Entertainment Tonight. 17 December 2014, 5:38 AM, PST)
John Waters (I)
- Must See Film Suburban Gothic Trailer and Release Date (From Best-Horror-Movies.com. 19 December 2014, 10:38 AM, PST)
- Stephen Dorff Signs With Paradigm (From Deadline New York. 1 December 2014, 3:09 PM, PST)
- The Foxy Merkins | Review (From ioncinema. 1 December 2014, 12:00 PM, PST)