The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Wait, Huh? Jerry’s Most “Wtf” Double Feature Experiences! (From Icons of Fright. 15 April 2014, 3:27 PM, PDT)
- Two Hi-Res Images from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Starring Megan Fox (From Collider.com. 14 April 2014, 11:16 AM, PDT)
- The MTV Movie Awards Fun You Didn't See During the Show (From Popsugar. 14 April 2014, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- Good TV Ratings Bring Back Oscar Producers for Third Consecutive Year (From Alt Film Guide. 22 April 2014, 5:32 PM, PDT)
- Producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron Return for '87th Annual Academy Awards' (From MovieWeb. 21 April 2014, 4:58 PM, PDT)
- Producing Team Craig Zadan and Neil Meron To Produce The Oscars For Third Consecutive Year (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 21 April 2014, 12:53 PM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Trailers from Hell on 'Pink Flamingos,' the Filthiest Movie Alive (From Thompson on Hollywood. 21 April 2014, 8:31 AM, PDT)
- Pink Flamingos (From Trailers from Hell. 20 April 2014, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Meme: Pharrell Comes Out For Equality, Pope Gets an Invite from Ali Forney Center, Parker Young Swings Like a Gymnast (From The Backlot. 14 April 2014, 4:58 AM, PDT)