The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Flickering Myth Podcast Review – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (From Flickeringmyth. 19 October 2014, 11:35 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (From Flickeringmyth. 16 October 2014, 11:34 AM, PDT)
- Turtle Power featurette for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (From Flickeringmyth. 16 October 2014, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- 2014 Hollywood Film Awards Announces Host – Queen Latifah (From Hollywoodnews.com. 17 October 2014, 9:07 AM, PDT)
- ‘After’ Movie: Paramount Acquires Rights To Wattpad Book By Anna Todd (From Deadline New York. 16 October 2014, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Amanda Bynes' Very Own Show Premiered 15 Years Ago – And Et Was There (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 October 2014, 1:00 AM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Beauty vs Beast: American Beauty vs American Beast (From FilmExperience. 15 September 2014, 1:25 PM, PDT)
- Toronto Film Review: ‘The Little Death’ (From Variety - Film News. 11 September 2014, 12:12 AM, PDT)
- Beauty vs Beast: Crime Is Beauty (From FilmExperience. 8 September 2014, 8:27 AM, PDT)