The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Wait, Huh? Jerry’s Most “Wtf” Double Feature Experiences! (From Icons of Fright. 15 April 2014, 3:27 PM, PDT)
- Two Hi-Res Images from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Starring Megan Fox (From Collider.com. 14 April 2014, 11:16 AM, PDT)
- The MTV Movie Awards Fun You Didn't See During the Show (From Popsugar. 14 April 2014, 8:35 AM, PDT)
- Aaron Tveit On Carnegie Hall Debut & Online Fandom: “I Can’t Explain It.” (From The Backlot. 11 April 2014, 6:07 AM, PDT)
- Amanda Bynes Is Not Schizophrenic, Takes Zero Medication and Quit Marijuana Nine Months Ago (From E! Online. 9 April 2014, 8:09 AM, PDT)
- Zac Efron Always Makes the MTV Movie Awards Worth Watching (From Popsugar. 8 April 2014, 12:25 PM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Meme: Pharrell Comes Out For Equality, Pope Gets an Invite from Ali Forney Center, Parker Young Swings Like a Gymnast (From The Backlot. 14 April 2014, 4:58 AM, PDT)
- 'I Am Divine' Offers Insightful Portrait of Gay Icon and John Waters' Muse, Now on DVD/VOD (From Thompson on Hollywood. 9 April 2014, 8:10 AM, PDT)
- Review: Documentary 'I Am Divine' Shines A New Light On John Waters' Most Notorious Collaborator (From The Playlist. 8 April 2014, 2:03 PM, PDT)