The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Coming to Blu-ray and DVD in December (From Comingsoon.net. 30 September 2014, 8:39 PM, PDT)
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' DVD and Blu-ray Details Revealed (From MovieWeb. 30 September 2014, 8:29 PM, PDT)
- What to Watch This Week: 'Chef,' 'The Vampire Diaries,' 'In A World...' (From Moviefone. 29 September 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- Amanda Bynes Arrested on DUI - Adderall Claims, Out on Bail (From National Ledger. 30 September 2014, 2:02 PM, PDT)
- Academy Science and Technology Council Adds Four Members (From Variety - Film News. 30 September 2014, 10:44 AM, PDT)
- 'Peter Pan': See Christopher Walken as Captain Hook (From The Hollywood Reporter. 24 September 2014, 12:02 PM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- Beauty vs Beast: American Beauty vs American Beast (From FilmExperience. 15 September 2014, 1:25 PM, PDT)
- Toronto Film Review: ‘The Little Death’ (From Variety - Film News. 11 September 2014, 12:12 AM, PDT)
- Beauty vs Beast: Crime Is Beauty (From FilmExperience. 8 September 2014, 8:27 AM, PDT)