The filmmaker, nicknamed the Pope of Trash, last year announced his plans to make a kids Christmas movie starring Johnny Knoxville.
He described the film, to be titled Fruitcake, as "Little Rascals on acid".
But the movie has been axed, and Waters is blaming the economy, and unpredictable studio executives.
He says, "I can't get it made.
"It's a children's movie. I thought it would do well, but it's not."
And he insists he is baffled by the decision: "I saw The Reader. Here's a movie that asked you to root for a paedophile Nazi guard. That got made."
Waters admits he is worried about where his next paycheque will come from - now his Broadway shows Hairspray and CryBaby have closed - adding, "In this economy, I'm going to have to do a puppet show."
Similar News ItemsJohnny Knoxville
- Elvis & Nixon review: “Funny and thoughtful.” (From The Hollywood News. 23 June 2016, 1:37 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review – Elvis & Nixon (2016) (From Flickeringmyth. 16 June 2016, 5:40 AM, PDT)
- Renny Harlin to direct Alibaba’s 'Legend Of The Ancient Sword' (From ScreenDaily. 13 June 2016, 12:07 PM, PDT)
- How ‘The Wiz Live!’ and ‘Grease Live!’ Revitalized the TV Musical (Emmy Watch) (From Indiewire. 24 June 2016, 7:53 AM, PDT)
- John Travolta Signs With CAA (From Deadline TV. 23 June 2016, 5:25 PM, PDT)
- John Travolta Signs With CAA (From Deadline. 23 June 2016, 5:25 PM, PDT)
John Waters (I)
- The Newsstand – Episode 60 – The September 2016 Criterion Line-up, Cameraperson, Phantom Pages and More! (From CriterionCast. 23 June 2016, 5:00 AM, PDT)
- Provincetown Fest Holds Fast to Indie Spirit (From Variety - Film News. 16 June 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
- The Neon Demon or Another Reason to Hate Top Models and Danish-Born Directors (From CultureCatch. 14 June 2016, 6:46 PM, PDT)