November is for vampires.
That seems to be the thinking at Summit Entertainment, which Monday slotted the film "New Moon" -- the sequel to vampire romance "Twilight" -- for Friday, Nov. 20. "Twilight" opened with a huge $69.6 million in domestic boxoffice in the Nov. 21 frame this year, and distributors tend to return to the scene of such happy events with future franchise installments.
"Same time, same place," Summit distribution boss Richie Fay said. "If it's also the same gross, we'll be very pleased. Hopefully, we'll have even better results."
Execs at Summit -- which announced plans for a sequel on just the second day of release for "Twilight" -- just confirmed that Chris Weitz ("The Golden Compass") will direct "New Moon." The minimajor recently parted ways on the project with Catherine Hardwicke, who helmed the original.
Both vampire pics are based on books in the teen literary series by Stephenie Meyer. »
- By Carl DiOrio
Similar News ItemsRobert Downey Jr.
- 50 Greatest Comic Book Movie Adaptations (From SoundOnSight. 1 September 2015, 7:30 PM, PDT)
- "Captain America: Civil War" - Leaked Set Images (From SneakPeek. 1 September 2015, 3:36 PM, PDT)
- Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige are now reporting directly to Disney (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 1 September 2015, 5:03 AM, PDT)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009)
- ‘Shield of Straw’ English-Language Remake in the Works With Chris Weitz (From Variety - Film News. 25 August 2015, 4:19 PM, PDT)
- Sherlock's Jonathan Aris joins Star Wars: Rogue One, but who is he playing? (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 27 July 2015, 8:12 AM, PDT)
- Forest Whitaker is gearing up for Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One's Death Star heist (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 15 June 2015, 1:05 PM, PDT)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- ‘Star Wars’ Won’t Be the Only Force at Holiday Box Office (From Variety - Film News. 1 September 2015, 3:46 PM, PDT)
- Bryan Fuller On Hannibal's Possible Future (From EmpireOnline. 31 August 2015, 10:20 AM, PDT)
- Lessons Learned This Summer At the Movies (From SoundOnSight. 31 August 2015, 8:41 AM, PDT)