Estelle Getty, the actress best known to television audiences for playing outspoken Sophia Petrillo on NBC's The Golden Girls, has passed away. She was 84 years old and died this morning, just three days short of her 85th birthday. She was surrounded by family and friends. Getty is survived by her two adult sons (Carl and Barry), a brother, a sister, and legions of grateful viewers and fans.
Getty was a veteran of stage for many years prior to being cast on The Golden Girls. She had struggled for many years, taking low-paying office jobs to help support her family between acting work. Her most notable role was playing Harvey Fierstein's mother in Torch Song Trilogy on Broadway.
The tiny actress auditioned for the role of spunky Sophia three times before getting the role. She was one year younger than Bea Arthur and it was felt that she had too much energy for the part. »
Similar News Items"The Golden Girls" (1985)
- Mary-Louise Parker Set as Star of NBC Comedy Pilot ‘Feed Me’ (From Variety - TV News. 5 March 2014, 4:00 PM, PST)
- Betty White Is Badass: When Hot In Cleveland Goes Live, Anything Can Happen—Watch Now! (From E! Online. 5 March 2014, 1:31 PM, PST)
- "Hot In Cleveland" Aging Gracefully Into Season Four (From JustPressPlay. 21 January 2014, 4:47 AM, PST)
Bea Arthur (I)
- My favourite TV show: The Golden Girls (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 February 2014, 2:27 AM, PST)
- 'Zombeavers' director Jordan Rubin on his dammed horror-comedy -- Exclusive Nsfw Images (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 25 February 2014, 11:00 AM, PST)
- Beloved Comedian Sid Caesar Dead At 91 (From Cinema Blend. 12 February 2014, 5:54 PM, PST)
- Now Casting the National Tour of ‘Newsies!’ and Other Upcoming Auditions (From Backstage. 21 January 2014, 8:00 AM, PST)
- Upcoming to Netflix Watch Instantly: 'The Croods,' 'Mitt,' 'Rent' and More (From Movies.com. 7 January 2014)
- Now Casting ‘Kinky Boots’ and Other Upcoming Auditions (From Backstage. 6 January 2014, 7:40 AM, PST)