The Miami Vice star made a deal for a 22-episode show with the then-boss of U.S. TV network CBS - and he admits he had no idea for a story.
That's where gonzo journalist and writer Thompson stepped in.
Johnson reveals, "I was probably one of the last actor/producers to get a guaranteed 22 episodes on the air, but I didn't have an idea; I just made the deal. I told them (TV executives) I was going to create it (series) as I went along.
"My neighbour and friend, God rest his soul, Hunter Thompson and I were sitting around talking about television. Hunter and I came up with one idea and out of that idea it evolved and underwent a metamorphosis. I took that idea and I brought it to Carlton Cuse (executive producer/creator Miami Vice) to help format Nash Bridges into the show that finally made it on the air."
Similar News ItemsDon Johnson (I)
- “A Boy And His Dog” Coming To Blu-Ray Via Shout! Factory (From Famous Monsters of Filmland. 13 May 2013, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Complete Buffy reviews: Angel (From Shadowlocked. 5 May 2013, 11:59 AM, PDT)
- With Tom Cruise's 'Oblivion' on the horizon, do post-apocalyptic movies still speak to us? (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 13 April 2013, 8:59 AM, PDT)
Hunter S. Thompson
- DVD: The Great Gatsby: Midnight in Manhattan (From Disc Dish. 2 May 2013, 2:27 PM, PDT)
- 60 Years of Playboy (From Nerve. 8 April 2013)
- Terry Gilliam Retrospective Part 7: An Arrogant and Drug Fuelled Road Trip (From Flickeringmyth. 26 March 2013, 12:32 PM, PDT)
- Titanic & Inglourious Basterds Actors Join FX’s The Strain (From Boomtron. 22 May 2013, 4:42 PM, PDT)
- Casting Update for Guillermo del Toro’s The Strain TV Series (From DailyDead. 22 May 2013, 12:01 PM, PDT)
- Two More Sign on to Feel The Strain (From Dread Central. 22 May 2013, 11:26 AM, PDT)