The Miami Vice star made a deal for a 22-episode show with the then-boss of U.S. TV network CBS - and he admits he had no idea for a story.
That's where gonzo journalist and writer Thompson stepped in.
Johnson reveals, "I was probably one of the last actor/producers to get a guaranteed 22 episodes on the air, but I didn't have an idea; I just made the deal. I told them (TV executives) I was going to create it (series) as I went along.
"My neighbour and friend, God rest his soul, Hunter Thompson and I were sitting around talking about television. Hunter and I came up with one idea and out of that idea it evolved and underwent a metamorphosis. I took that idea and I brought it to Carlton Cuse (executive producer/creator Miami Vice) to help format Nash Bridges into the show that finally made it on the air."
Similar News ItemsDon Johnson (I)
- 13 great modern thriller directors (From Den of Geek. 14 June 2016, 9:59 AM, PDT)
- Sick Note: Shooting Begins on Rupert Grint and Don Johnson Comedy Series (From TVSeriesFinale. 1 June 2016, 3:34 PM, PDT)
- Johnson, Grint, Frost Team For "Sick Note" (From Dark Horizons. 31 May 2016, 7:01 AM, PDT)
- Comic-Con 2016: Orphan Black, All That Reunion Added to Panel Lineup (From TVLine.com. 28 June 2016, 1:03 PM, PDT)
- The Strain Season 2 Blu-ray / DVD Release Details & Cover Art (From DailyDead. 28 June 2016, 6:23 AM, PDT)
- FX’s ‘The Strain’ & ‘Archer’ Return To Comic-Con In July (From Deadline TV. 22 June 2016, 10:49 AM, PDT)
Hunter S. Thompson
- Preview of Hunter S. Thompson’s Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas #2 (From Flickeringmyth. 28 June 2016, 4:45 AM, PDT)
- Johnny Depp: Anatomy of a Fallen Movie Star (From Variety - Film News. 29 May 2016, 10:59 AM, PDT)
- Rum Diary Flashback: Where Johnny Depp and Amber Heard First Met (From PEOPLE.com. 26 May 2016, 1:55 PM, PDT)