The Miami Vice star made a deal for a 22-episode show with the then-boss of U.S. TV network CBS - and he admits he had no idea for a story.
That's where gonzo journalist and writer Thompson stepped in.
Johnson reveals, "I was probably one of the last actor/producers to get a guaranteed 22 episodes on the air, but I didn't have an idea; I just made the deal. I told them (TV executives) I was going to create it (series) as I went along.
"My neighbour and friend, God rest his soul, Hunter Thompson and I were sitting around talking about television. Hunter and I came up with one idea and out of that idea it evolved and underwent a metamorphosis. I took that idea and I brought it to Carlton Cuse (executive producer/creator Miami Vice) to help format Nash Bridges into the show that finally made it on the air."
Similar News ItemsDon Johnson (I)
- The Week in Blu-ray: Us Edition – American Sniper, Hot Tub Time Machine 2 and more (From Flickeringmyth. 19 May 2015, 7:00 PM, PDT)
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' co-creator on Holt's promotion, Jake and Amy's slow-burn romance & more (From Hitfix. 17 May 2015, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- 2015-2016 Fall Schedule NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox – With Complete Picks & Previews (From AreYouScreening. 13 May 2015, 8:02 PM, PDT)
- Carlton Cuse Talks Origins of Colony, World War II Influence, and Tone (From Collider.com. 21 May 2015, 8:33 AM, PDT)
- The Strain: Season Two of FX Series to Debut (From TVSeriesFinale. 20 May 2015, 2:49 PM, PDT)
- The Strain Season 2: Carlton Cuse Talks Deviating From the Book & Corey Stoll’s Wig (From Collider.com. 20 May 2015, 7:18 AM, PDT)
Hunter S. Thompson
- Black Mass Trailer: Johnny Depp’s Bold, Bald Portrayal of Whitey Bulger (From FilmSchoolRejects. 23 April 2015, 1:10 PM, PDT)
- Jack Nicholson Facts: 25 Things You Didn't Know About the Iconic Actor (From Moviefone. 22 April 2015, 2:00 AM, PDT)
- All Bets Are Off: Top Ten Films About Las Vegas (From SoundOnSight. 1 March 2015, 9:19 PM, PST)