Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- Set Photos: Cavill's Clark Kent Visits Gotham Jail (From Dark Horizons. 30 August 2014, 1:26 PM, PDT)
- Lynda Carter On New Wonder Woman Costume (From Dark Horizons. 30 August 2014, 12:51 PM, PDT)
- 'Batman v Superman': Lynda Carter Talks New Wonder Woman Costume (From MovieWeb. 30 August 2014, 10:41 AM, PDT)
- ‘Evil Feed’ Review (From Blogomatic3000. 29 August 2014, 6:52 AM, PDT)
- Casting Net: Billy Crudup in talks for Catholic Church drama 'Spotlight' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 27 August 2014, 4:53 PM, PDT)
- DC superhero movies that never got the greenlight (From Den of Geek. 27 August 2014, 3:26 AM, PDT)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- Six of the Creepiest Dolls in Film (From HeyUGuys. 27 August 2014, 4:30 AM, PDT)
- New trailer for Annabelle is here to scare you (From Cineplex. 21 August 2014, 12:54 PM, PDT)
- Second 'Annabelle' Trailer Reveals 'The Conjuring' Doll Origins (From MovieWeb. 21 August 2014, 10:56 AM, PDT)