Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- Ray Fisher didn't know he was to get standalone Cyborg film (From Den of Geek. 21 October 2014, 10:50 PM, PDT)
- The Conjuring Director James Wan To Helm A DC Comics Movie? (From We Got This Covered. 21 October 2014, 6:43 PM, PDT)
- Cyborg Is Definitely In Batman v Superman, Here Are The Details (From Cinema Blend. 21 October 2014, 5:18 PM, PDT)
- Toronto After Dark 2014 Review: Hellmouth Is One Man's Existential Crisis (From Twitch. 19 October 2014, 3:45 PM, PDT)
- Watchmen graphic novelist Dave Gibbons appointed first comics laureate (From The Guardian - TV News. 17 October 2014, 11:02 AM, PDT)
- Wolves Review (From We Got This Covered. 17 October 2014, 6:37 AM, PDT)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- James Wan Directing 'The Conjuring 2' (From LatinoReview. 22 October 2014, 12:15 AM, PDT)
- James Wan Returns for ‘Conjuring’ Sequel (From Variety - Film News. 21 October 2014, 12:54 PM, PDT)
- James Wan to Direct The Conjuring 2 (From DailyDead. 21 October 2014, 10:52 AM, PDT)