Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- Watch The Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Comic-Con Teaser Right Here (From We Got This Covered. 28 July 2014, 3:28 PM, PDT)
- 9 Biggest Surprises of Comic-Con 2014 (From MovieWeb. 28 July 2014, 3:26 PM, PDT)
- 'Batman '66: The Complete TV Series' release: Adam West knows what you want (From Hitfix. 28 July 2014, 3:05 PM, PDT)
- Interview – Wamg Talks To Guardians Of The Galaxy Composer Tyler Bates (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 28 July 2014, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- Frank Miller Talks Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, the future of 300, Reincarnating Robocop, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, and More at Comic-Con (From Collider.com. 28 July 2014, 8:40 AM, PDT)
- First Look at Mark Hamill in Kingsman: The Secret Service (From GeekTyrant. 26 July 2014, 11:00 AM, PDT)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- The Week in Spandex – The 2014 San Diego Comic-Con Edition (From Flickeringmyth. 28 July 2014, 5:23 AM, PDT)
- Video: More From Ant-man Cast On Edgar Wright, Costumes, Characters And Comic-Con (From ComicBookMovie. 27 July 2014, 7:44 AM, PDT)
- Paul Rudd opens up about Edgar Wright's 'Ant-Man' exit: 'I'm really sad about it' (From Hitfix. 27 July 2014, 1:47 AM, PDT)