Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- "Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice" - 'Paradise Island' (From SneakPeek. 26 November 2014, 5:01 AM, PST)
- New Look At Batman v Superman New Mexico Set (Video) (From ComicBookMovie. 25 November 2014, 10:20 PM, PST)
- "Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice" - More Spoiler Set Footage (From SneakPeek. 25 November 2014, 11:05 AM, PST)
- Why I Think Man of Steel Is Great (From ComicBookMovie. 22 November 2014, 5:20 PM, PST)
- Cosplay: Krystle Starr As Indiana Jones, Psylocke & The Comedian (Watchmen) (From ComicBookMovie. 22 November 2014, 4:52 PM, PST)
- Matthew Vaughn Talks More About Why He Didn't Helm X-men: Days Of Future Past (From ComicBookMovie. 20 November 2014, 4:56 AM, PST)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- New on DVD/Blu-ray: 'Expendables 3,' 'What If,' Plus: An Exclusive 'A Madea Christmas' Clip (From Movies.com. 25 November 2014, 9:40 PM, PST)
- Casting Net: John C. Reilly signs on for 'Les Cowboys' (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 25 November 2014, 6:53 PM, PST)
- Celebrities React to the Ferguson Decision, Halle Berry Fights for Her Daughter in Court + More of Today’s First Dibs (From VH1.com. 25 November 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)