Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- Batman vs. Superman begins filming, rumoured image of Ben Affleck's Batman surfaces (From Flickeringmyth. 11 March 2014, 12:09 AM, PDT)
- What’s the Bloody ‘300’ Sequel’s Beef With Anti-War Movies? (From Variety - Film News. 10 March 2014, 7:40 PM, PDT)
- Box Office Democracy: “300: Rise of an Empire” (From Comicmix. 10 March 2014, 6:17 PM, PDT)
- Karen Berger: The Architect of Vertigo, Among Other Things (From SoundOnSight. 10 March 2014, 6:59 PM, PDT)
- The Week in Spandex - Batman vs. Superman, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Watchmen, Gotham, Arrow, The Flash and more (From Flickeringmyth. 9 March 2014, 11:56 PM, PDT)
- Malin Åkerman Covers "Maxim" (From SneakPeek. 6 March 2014, 5:53 PM, PST)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- Insidious: Chapter 3 Won’t Star Patrick Wilson Or Rose Byrne (From We Got This Covered. 10 March 2014, 5:19 PM, PDT)
- Superhero Bits: Ant-Man, Fantastic Four, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Preacher (From Slash Film. 10 March 2014, 4:15 PM, PDT)
- Patrick Wilson confirms role in Marvel's Ant-Man (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 10 March 2014, 11:08 AM, PDT)