Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- More Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice Details Revealed (From We Got This Covered. 31 July 2015, 9:53 AM, PDT)
- Jena Malone Is Batgirl In Batman V Superman (From Obsessed with Film. 31 July 2015, 1:39 AM, PDT)
- Wonder Woman and Justice League shooting dates revealed (From Den of Geek. 30 July 2015, 11:05 PM, PDT)
- Jena Malone and Callan Mulvey’s Batman v Superman roles revealed? (From Flickeringmyth. 30 July 2015, 2:33 PM, PDT)
- Denise Richards & Jane Seymour Join Adi Shankar’s Gods And Secrets (From ComicBookMovie. 30 July 2015, 6:00 AM, PDT)
- Superheroes Go Dark In "Gods And Secrets" (From Dark Horizons. 29 July 2015, 3:26 PM, PDT)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- Kurt Russell, Refn and An Impressive First Wave of Programming Coming to This Year’s Fantastic Fest!! (From Icons of Fright. 30 July 2015, 2:14 PM, PDT)
- Kurt Russell Western 'Bone Tomahawk' gets a world premiere at Fantastic Fest (From Hitfix. 30 July 2015, 12:49 PM, PDT)
- First Wave of Fantastic Fest 2015 Is Here! (From Destroy the Brain. 30 July 2015, 11:46 AM, PDT)