Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.
The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.
But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.
A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".
A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."
Similar News ItemsZack Snyder
- Batman’s Batmobile Hitches Ride on Millennium Falcon in ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ (From Variety - Film News. 18 September 2014, 10:48 AM, PDT)
- Holy 'Star Wars,' Batman: Millennium Falcon footage features Batmobile (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 18 September 2014, 10:40 AM, PDT)
- ‘Star Wars’ New Millennium Falcon Footage Revealed by J.J. Abrams (Video) (From The Wrap. 18 September 2014, 10:10 AM, PDT)
- Exclusive Wolves Poster Unleashes the Beast (From Collider.com. 17 September 2014, 8:17 AM, PDT)
- Seven Actresses Emerge as Contenders for Lead Female Role in True Detective Season Two (From HeyUGuys. 16 September 2014, 4:10 PM, PDT)
- Female Contenders For Next "True Detective" (From Dark Horizons. 16 September 2014, 12:07 PM, PDT)
Patrick Wilson (I)
- Space Station 76 | Review (From ioncinema. 18 September 2014, 7:00 AM, PDT)
- 'Stretch' Gag Reel with Chris Pine and Patrick Wilson (From MovieWeb. 12 September 2014, 5:26 PM, PDT)
- Chris Pine Needs Wilford Brimley’s Mustache in Nutty Stretch Gag Reel (From Collider.com. 12 September 2014, 1:52 PM, PDT)