The actress had long been considered America's sweetheart until the break-up of her marriage to Dennis Quaid and her fling with Crowe turned her into public enemy number one - and she struggled to cope with the backlash.
She tells Parade magazine, "It's a very big surprise in life when you learn that not everyone is rooting for you. It's a very scary thing when you figure that out.
"I never imagined that worrying about what other people think of me would be a big part of my day. But, when you get that much negativity thrown at you, you go, 'Whew, I've got to cope with that.'
"Nothing I heard in the press resembled the truth. What an insight for me.
"I took time off. I wanted to get simple and quiet. I wanted to laugh. I wanted to travel."
Similar News ItemsRussell Crowe
- Exclusive interview with ‘Good Kill’ and ‘Star Trek’ star Bruce Greenwood (From The Hollywood News. 2 August 2015, 12:47 PM, PDT)
- Marco Beltrami and Philip Glass Thrilling Fantastic Four Soundtrack On CD August 14 (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 2 August 2015, 11:32 AM, PDT)
- New VOD and Digital Releases, Plus: 'Hot Pursuit' with Sofia Vergara Arrives Home Early (From Movies.com. 28 July 2015, 6:00 PM, PDT)
- First Look: Sony Classics Dates 'Truth' in Oscary October Slot (From Rope Of Silicon. 1 August 2015, 10:33 AM, PDT)
- Cate Blanchett is bringing the Rathergate realness in first 'Truth' image (From Hitfix. 31 July 2015, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Spc throws 'Truth' into awards ring (From ScreenDaily. 31 July 2015, 2:52 PM, PDT)
Meg Ryan (I)
- Meg Ryan Makes Rare Public Appearance at Paris Fashion Week -- See How She Looks Now! (From TooFab. 9 July 2015, 7:45 AM, PDT)
- Meg Ryan Resurfaces at Her First Red Carpet Event in Over a Year: See How She Looks Now! (From Us Weekly. 8 July 2015, 10:36 AM, PDT)
- Meg Ryan Stuns on the Red Carpet in a Rare Public Appearance (From Popsugar. 7 July 2015, 9:45 AM, PDT)