A Dunkin Donuts commercial featuring beloved U.S. TV chef Rachael Ray has been ditched after critics accused her of dressing like a terrorist in the ad.
Ray, who was announced as the company's new spokeswoman last year, appears in the commercial wearing a black-and-white scarf, alleged to be symbolic of a keffiyeh - a traditional headdress worn by Arab men.
Fox news columnist Michelle Malkin explains the garment "...has come to symbolise murderous Palestinian jihad. Popularised by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos.
"The apparel has been mainstreamed by both ignorant and not-soignorant fashion designers, celebrities, and left-wing icons."
Dunkin' Donuts bosses first dismissed complaints, claiming Ray's black-and-white wrap was merely misinterpreted, but an ensuing firestorm forced them to quickly pull the ad from rotation.
A statement from company executives reads, "In a recent online ad, Rachael Ray is wearing a black-and-white silk scarf with a paisley design. It was selected by her stylist for the advertising shoot.
"Absolutely no symbolism was intended. However, given the possibility of misperception, we are no longer using the commercial."
Similar News ItemsRachael Ray
- Worst Cooks in America: Celebrity Edition: New Season Coming in September (From TVSeriesFinale. 18 August 2016, 7:13 PM, PDT)
- Worst Cooks In America Celebrity Edition Returns Sept. 14th (From AreYouScreening. 15 August 2016, 3:32 PM, PDT)
- Rachael Ray Sent Rachel Roy a Boozy Gift Following the Beyoncé ''Becky'' Drama (From E! Online. 11 May 2016, 5:40 PM, PDT)
- Jeff Bridges and Nicolas Cage Play Marble-Mouthed Mentors in Seventh Son and Outcast (From FilmSchoolRejects. 7 February 2015, 3:18 AM, PST)
- Macklemore Battles Anti-Semitism Rumors After Dressing in 'Jewish' Stereotype Costume (From PEOPLE.com. 19 May 2014, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Stephen Colbert Accused of Racism With #CancelColbert Campaign (From Variety - TV News. 27 March 2014, 7:42 PM, PDT)
- ‘Daily Show With Jon Stewart’: 17 Famous Moments (From Variety - TV News. 6 August 2015, 7:02 AM, PDT)
- Jerusalem fest threatened by government over 'Beyond The Fear' screening (From ScreenDaily. 18 June 2015, 6:59 AM, PDT)
- Film Review: ‘The Wanted 18’ (From Variety - Film News. 29 November 2014, 1:43 PM, PST)