23 January 2008 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »
One of the biggest sales in the history of Sundance appears to have been sealed, with Focus Features reportedly nabbing world rights to the high-school satire Hamlet 2 for what sources say is about $10 million.
The deal, closed at the CAA condo at about 8 a.m. after a night of intense negotiations, would mark the biggest bidding war of the festival to date and one of the biggest in fest history, rivaling Little Miss Sunshine, Hustle and Flow, and Happy, Texas.
Hamlet stars Steve Coogan as an overly dramatic drama teacher who attempts to salvage his high-school theater department by staging a controversial sequel to Shakespeare's play.
Andy Fleming's pic, a late edition to the fest, had top film execs gushing outside the Library after the Monday night screening, with the Weinstein Company, Lionsgate, Fox Searchlight and Par Vantage all interested in the picture. A post-screening dinner at Main Street eatery Jean Louis saw a number of execs huddling with the sales agent and the producers, which include L&E's Eric Eisner as well as Little Miss Sunshine producers Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa.
Similar News ItemsSteve Coogan
- Steve Coogan & Rob Brydon are back in new The Trip to Spain trailer (From JoBlo. 17 August 2017, 9:26 AM, PDT)
- Review: The Trip to Spain (From JoBlo. 17 August 2017, 8:36 AM, PDT)
- Movie Review – The Trip to Spain (2017) (From Flickeringmyth. 17 August 2017, 7:00 AM, PDT)
Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- 10 Female-Directed Films to See This Season, From ‘Lady Bird’ to ‘Professor Marston & the Wonder Women’ (From Indiewire. 18 August 2017, 7:30 AM, PDT)
- Our 20 most anticipated movies at #TIFF17 so far! (From Cineplex. 15 August 2017, 11:45 AM, PDT)
- 22 Awards Contenders to See This Season, From ‘Wonderstruck’ to ‘Mudbound’ (From Indiewire. 15 August 2017, 9:00 AM, PDT)
- Hunger Games, Twilight and Saw Are Getting Their Own Theme Park (From MovieWeb. 17 August 2017, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Lionsgate Plans South Korean Theme Park With Hunger Games, Twilight Areas (From Variety - Film News. 15 August 2017, 4:00 PM, PDT)
- Lionsgate, Roadside Attractions acquire 'I Can Only Imagine' (From ScreenDaily. 14 August 2017, 2:28 PM, PDT)