"It's premature to speculate what action will be taken in this case," WGA West assistant executive director Jeff Hermanson said Friday.
"We have a constitutionally mandated procedure for dealing with allegations of violation of strike rules, and we don't comment on allegations that have been made but not yet proven."
Hermanson declined comment if Leno is currently being investigated, citing WGA's policy.
In response, NBC issued a statement late Friday: "It is unfortunate that the WGA is contemplating plans to 'investigate' Jay's authorship of his 'Tonight Show' monologue. The WGA agreement clearly permits Jay to create and perform his own monologue. The enforcement of strike rules against Jay in these circumstances would violate the federal labor laws."
The WGA's accusations were ignited by Leno's monologue on his first night back Wednesday, which he admitted on the show he had written.
Reps for WGA West on Thursday met with Leno "to clarify to him that writing for 'The Tonight Show' constitutes a violation of the guild's strike rules."
NBC jumped to Leno's defense, claiming that the host is legally allowed to write his monologue.
Similar News ItemsJay Leno
- Jay Leno Kicks Off Concours d'Elegance Weekend at THR-Hosted Alfa Romeo Bash at Carmel Winery (From The Hollywood Reporter. 20 August 2016, 10:53 AM, PDT)
- James Corden on Emmy Surprise, ‘Carpool Karaoke’ and Those Colbert Rumors (From Variety - TV News. 15 August 2016, 11:00 AM, PDT)
- How Jeff Zucker Made CNN Great Again (From Variety - TV News. 2 August 2016, 10:00 AM, PDT)
"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)
- Barack Obama Turns 55: Celebrate With His Best Pop Culture Moments (From E! Online. 4 August 2016, 7:38 AM, PDT)
- Taylor Swift and Kanye West's Rocky History: A Timeline (From PEOPLE.com. 28 July 2016, 10:25 AM, PDT)
- Hollywood Conservatives in the Shadows Stumping for Trump (From The Hollywood Reporter. 7 June 2016, 2:17 PM, PDT)
NBC Universal Television Distribution [us]
- 10 Amazing TV Shows With Surprisingly Weak First Seasons (From Obsessed with Film. 8 September 2014, 5:07 AM, PDT)
- 10 Episodes That Prove 30 Rock Is The Greatest Sitcom Ever Made (From Obsessed with Film. 23 December 2013, 3:44 AM, PST)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: ITV2 Buys 4 U.S. Shows, A Play For ‘Rupert’, Spain’s Duopoly (From Deadline TV. 24 August 2012, 11:55 PM, PDT)