NEW YORK -- NBC News will cut about 1% of its work force, or about 15-20 jobs, throughout the division.
Final decisions haven't been made, but the cuts likely will start Friday and continue through the middle of next week. Some of the 15 or 20 jobs will be buyouts; the others will be layoffs. NBC News has about 2,000 employees between the network news division and its cable channel, MSNBC.
No on-air talent will be affected, unlike the last round that led to the contracts of several -- including anchors John Siegenthaler and Stone Phillips -- not being renewed. The cuts would lead to a savings of less than $20 million a year.
"There's an ongoing process at NBC News to reallocate, reorganize and right-size the division given the business pressures that every major media organization is facing," NBC News spokeswoman Allison Gollust said.
Similar News ItemsNBC News [us]
- Trump Triumphant at Rally Moments After Learning FBI Reopened Investigation into Clinton’s Emails (From PEOPLE.com. 28 October 2016, 10:38 AM, PDT)
- Will Hillary Clinton Name Joe Biden Secretary of State? (From The Wrap. 28 October 2016, 9:13 AM, PDT)
- Megyn Kelly To Guest Co-Host ‘Live With Kelly’ As Rupert Murdoch Courts Her Via Newspaper Interview (From Deadline TV. 26 October 2016, 8:11 PM, PDT)
- My World Of Flops: Going 4 it! case file #72: Corey Feldman’s solo musical career (From The AV Club. 19 October 2016, 10:00 PM, PDT)
- Kathie Lee Gifford Gets Emotional on Her 30th Anniversary With the Late Frank Gifford (From E! Online. 18 October 2016, 8:55 AM, PDT)
- Billy Bush Out at ‘Today’ Show (From The Wrap. 17 October 2016, 4:00 PM, PDT)
"NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt" (1970)
- Don Lemon’s Late Shift: CNN Anchor Hopes to Embrace Wee-Hours Talk (From Variety - TV News. 26 October 2016, 8:23 AM, PDT)
- At NBCU, Billy Bush Is Out, But Corporate Espionage Seems In (From Variety - TV News. 16 October 2016, 8:30 AM, PDT)
- ‘NBC Nightly News’ Unveils New Opening As Division Deals With Billy Bush Suspension (From Deadline TV. 10 October 2016, 8:04 AM, PDT)