Lynton joined SPE in January 2004. After weathering some initial boxoffice disappointments, he led Sony Pictures to a record $1.7 billion and change at the domestic boxoffice in 2006 with co-chairman Amy Pascal. Top hits included The Da Vinci Code and Casino Royale.
SPE also earned more than $3.3 billion in worldwide boxoffice receipts that year, an all-time high for the company. Last week, Sony topped $1 billion at the domestic boxoffice for the sixth straight year, including the year's biggest U.S. hit to date, Spider-Man 3.
"Michael Lynton's financial acumen and firm grasp of content in the digital era is exactly what's needed to lead a studio in the 21st century," said Sony chairman and CEO Howard Stringer, who announced the extension. "Together he and Amy have become a forceful and dynamic team, guiding the studio to even greater heights than I could have hoped."
Lynton's contract was set to expire in March.
Similar News ItemsCasino Royale (2006)
- SXSW: Showtime’s ‘Penny Dreadful’ Debuts Juan Antonio Bayona-Helmed Premiere Episode (From Deadline TV. 9 March 2014, 8:51 PM, PDT)
- Box Office: '300: Rise of an Empire' leads the charge with $45.1 million (From Hitfix. 9 March 2014, 12:23 PM, PDT)
- DVD Review - Runner Runner (2013) (From Flickeringmyth. 9 March 2014, 3:55 AM, PDT)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
- Director Marc Webb Talks Villain Overload in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' (From MovieWeb. 9 March 2014, 12:18 PM, PDT)
- "Spider-Man" Director Talks Multiple Villains (From Dark Horizons. 8 March 2014, 10:22 PM, PST)
- Marc Webb on Amazing Spider-Man 2: 'I embraced the spectacular' (From Digital Spy - Movie News. 8 March 2014, 1:56 PM, PST)
The Da Vinci Code (2006)
- Berenice Bejo Joins Cast Of Safy Nebbou’s ‘After The Storm’ (From Variety - Film News. 26 February 2014, 9:15 AM, PST)
- Casting Net: Amanda Seyfried to star in 'Ted 2'; Plus, Bradley Cooper, more (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 24 February 2014, 5:50 PM, PST)
- Melanie Laurent, Audrey Tautou, Berenice Bejo Set for Tran Anh Hung’s ‘Eternity’ (From Variety - Film News. 24 February 2014, 10:44 AM, PST)