NEW DELHI -- Mumbai-based film production company UTV Motion Pictures will produce Indian writer-director Vishal Bhardwaj's next film, with the working title Rangoon Express.
The film is co-written by Bhardwaj and writer-director Matthew Robbins (Batteries Not Included). In an interview Thursday, Bhardwaj said: "The film is set in 1943 Burma during the Second World War when Indian soldiers were fighting for the British against Japan. It's a musical love story revolving around an English stuntwoman acting in Indian films of that time."
Shooting is expected to begin around November and the film is set to be ready for release by April 2008. The film will be in English interspersed with Bollywood-style Hindi songs of that era.
UTV CEO Ronnie Screwvala said the film's budget "would be in the region of $10 million-$11 million. We have the financing in place, and depending on what kind of international tie-ups we do for marketing, we could consider offering a share to potential partners.
Similar News ItemsFox Searchlight Pictures [us]
- Brand New Trailer Hits for Nate Paker's 'The Birth Of A Nation' (From LatinoReview. 21 June 2016, 1:03 PM, PDT)
- Ronna Kress to Head Casting at Fox Film (From Variety - Film News. 15 June 2016, 10:29 AM, PDT)
- 20th Century Fox Film Taps Ronna Kress As Evp Casting (From Deadline. 15 June 2016, 10:15 AM, PDT)
Vishal Bhardwaj (I)
- Saif Ali Khan and Shahid Kapoor bond on Rangoon sets (From BollywoodHungama. 9 June 2016, 2:54 AM, PDT)
- Kangna Ranaut tries to direct Vishal Bhardwaj on Rangoon sets (From BollywoodHungama. 14 May 2016, 3:54 AM, PDT)
- Kangana Ranaut on her decade in the Hindi Film Industry! (From Bollyspice. 28 April 2016, 11:04 AM, PDT)
- ‘Violin Player,’ ‘Tess’ Take Top Awards at Durban Film Festival (From Variety - Film News. 25 June 2016, 4:11 PM, PDT)
- Oscar Race at the 2016 Halfway Mark: Diversity and Confusion (From Variety - Film News. 24 June 2016, 11:03 AM, PDT)
- ‘A United Kingdom’ to Open BFI London Film Festival, Boosting Awards Chances (From Indiewire. 21 June 2016, 10:08 AM, PDT)