The spoof business is still thriving at the North American boxoffice. At least that was the verdict this past weekend as 20th Century Fox's Epic Movie won the first-place title with an $18.6 million take. Universal Pictures' R-rated Smokin' Aces came in second with $14.6 million.
The other two wide releases didn't fare as well. Sony Pictures' bow of Catch and Release garnered a fifth spot in the derby, opening to $7.6 million, below the sixth week of Fox's Night at the Museum and the third week of Sony's Screen Gem release Stomp the Yard. MGM's release of the Lakeshore production Blood and Chocolate didn't even crack the top 10. The horror movie, bowing in 1,200 locations, opened in 16th place to $2 million.
While the Oscar-nominated films received a big boost at the boxoffice, it wasn't enough to buoy the boxoffice over last year's numbers for the comparable frame. For all films, the boxoffice was down 6% compared with last year at this time when Fox's Big Momma's House opened to $27 million and Universal's Nanny McPhee grossed $14.5 million.
While Dreamgirls earned eight Oscar noms -- but not the coveted best picture or director -- it earned another $6.7 million at the boxoffice.
Similar News ItemsUniversal Pictures [us]
- ‘Unbroken’ Unseats ‘The Interview’ as Top TV Ad Spend (From Variety - Film News. 24 December 2014, 4:00 PM, PST)
- 10 Holiday Movies You Can Stream on Netflix (From BuzzSugar. 24 December 2014, 2:00 PM, PST)
- Angelina Jolie, Jack O’Connell and Miyavi on Pressures of ‘Unbroken': 1 Fainted, 1 Vomited, 1 Worried (From The Wrap. 24 December 2014, 12:55 PM, PST)
- Stage Door: "Side Show" Brings Out the Auteur in Bill Condon (From FilmExperience. 21 December 2014, 5:59 PM, PST)
- Annie – The Review (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 18 December 2014, 5:36 PM, PST)
- 13 Unexplained Beyonce Mysteries of 2014 (From Entertainment Tonight. 16 December 2014, 4:08 PM, PST)
Night at the Museum (2006)
- What Is Your Movie Tradition on Christmas? (From Movies.com. 24 December 2014, 11:00 PM, PST)
- Box office preview: 'The Interview' eyes strong limited release, 'Into the Woods' opens (From EW.com - Inside Movies. 24 December 2014, 1:12 PM, PST)
- Podcast: Top Ten Movies of 2014, Reviewing 'Annie' & 'Into the Woods' (From Rope Of Silicon. 24 December 2014, 9:00 AM, PST)