The film will mark a more comedic take on the world of spooks than Clooney's recent Oscar-winning dramatic turn in Syriana. Clooney will play a killer in the comedy, which the screenwriting duo are adapting from former CIA director Stansfield Turner's 2005 nonfiction tome "Burn Before Reading: Presidents, CIA Directors, and Secret Intelligence."
Working Title Films, which acquired the rights to the Hyperion book, will produce the film. Working Title also produced 2000's O Brother, Where Art Thou? the first film Clooney made with the Coens.
"Burn" is slated to start principal photography in August to mid-September, after Clooney completes directing his 1920s football film Leatherheads, in which he is expected to star with Renee Zellweger.
The Coens co-write their films, which are directed by Joel Coen and produced by Ethan Coen.
In addition to "Brother," Clooney starred in the Coens' 2003 comedy Intolerable Cruelty, in which he starred opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones.
The Coens have backburnered Suburbicon as well as the period comedy Hail Caesar, about a '20s Shakespeare troupe, in which Clooney was planning to play a hammy actor with a pencil mustache. The Coens' adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem, is slated for release next year by Paramount Vantage. The Coens won the Oscar for best original screenplay for 1996's Fargo.
Clooney is repped by CAA; the Coens are repped by UTA.
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Shailene Woodley Caravans Across U.S. to Democratic National Convention (From Variety - Film News. 25 July 2016, 8:01 AM, PDT)
- Watch: Michelle Obama Rocks Out for ‘Carpool Karaoke’ With James Corden (From Variety - TV News. 20 July 2016, 11:46 PM, PDT)
- Ava DuVernay Original Prison Documentary Set To Open The 54th New York Film Festival (From LatinoReview. 19 July 2016, 7:15 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: The Coen brothers sure do use green a whole heckuva lot, don’tcha know (From The AV Club. 20 July 2016, 10:15 AM, PDT)
- Great Job, Internet!: Meet the shaggy, shambolic Jeff Dowd, who inspired The Big Lebowski (From The AV Club. 15 July 2016, 9:47 AM, PDT)
- 25-Minute Video Essay Takes An Odyssey In Style With Coens’ ‘O Brother, Where Art Thou?’ & ‘The Man Who Wasn’t There’ (From The Playlist. 13 July 2016, 2:25 PM, PDT)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Fantasia Review: Let Me Make You A Martyr (From Icons of Fright. 22 July 2016, 7:55 PM, PDT)
- Fantasia 2016: ‘Let Me Make You A Martyr’ (From The Hollywood News. 22 July 2016, 5:00 PM, PDT)
- ‘Space Dogs’ Exclusive Trailer: A Teenage Dogstronaut Travels To The Moon To Meet His Family In This Family-Friendly Adventure (From Indiewire. 21 July 2016, 3:16 PM, PDT)