25 October 2006 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »
The film will mark a more comedic take on the world of spooks than Clooney's recent Oscar-winning dramatic turn in Syriana. Clooney will play a killer in the comedy, which the screenwriting duo are adapting from former CIA director Stansfield Turner's 2005 nonfiction tome "Burn Before Reading: Presidents, CIA Directors, and Secret Intelligence."
Working Title Films, which acquired the rights to the Hyperion book, will produce the film. Working Title also produced 2000's O Brother, Where Art Thou? the first film Clooney made with the Coens.
"Burn" is slated to start principal photography in August to mid-September, after Clooney completes directing his 1920s football film Leatherheads, in which he is expected to star with Renee Zellweger.
The Coens co-write their films, which are directed by Joel Coen and produced by Ethan Coen.
In addition to "Brother," Clooney starred in the Coens' 2003 comedy Intolerable Cruelty, in which he starred opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones.
The Coens have backburnered Suburbicon as well as the period comedy Hail Caesar, about a '20s Shakespeare troupe, in which Clooney was planning to play a hammy actor with a pencil mustache. The Coens' adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Javier Bardem, is slated for release next year by Paramount Vantage. The Coens won the Oscar for best original screenplay for 1996's Fargo.
Clooney is repped by CAA; the Coens are repped by UTA.
Similar News ItemsGeorge Clooney
- Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber Think Pal George Clooney Will "Do Just Fine" as a New Dad (From E! Online. 25 May 2017, 2:01 PM, PDT)
- Arrest Warrant Issued after Hot Yoga Founder Allegedly Fled U.S. Without Paying $7M Lawsuit (From PEOPLE.com. 25 May 2017, 12:37 PM, PDT)
- Joseph Fiennes Reflects On Losing A Main Star Wars Role (From We Got This Covered. 25 May 2017, 6:51 AM, PDT)
- The Coen Brother’s Blood Simple at The Tivoli Wednesday Night – ‘Classics in the Loop’ (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 22 May 2017, 7:55 PM, PDT)
- Fargo creator Noah Hawley: ‘I'm Stanley Kubrick without the Ocd’ (From The Guardian - TV News. 22 May 2017, 1:00 AM, PDT)
- Suicide Squad’s David Ayer in talks to direct Scarface (From Den of Geek. 19 May 2017, 11:17 AM, PDT)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Cannes Facetime: Director Fatih Akin (From Variety - Film News. 22 May 2017, 10:21 PM, PDT)
- Javier Bardem Confirms Talks To Play Classic Monster Role (From LRM Online. 21 May 2017, 10:32 AM, PDT)
- Javier Bardem Confirms Frankenstein Talks (From MovieWeb. 19 May 2017, 5:02 PM, PDT)