Vietnam war epic Apocalypse Now has been named the greatest film of the past 25 years by a panel of 50 British critics and film writers. Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 classic, starring Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen, beat next best Raging Bull, and Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander came in third place. The survey was conducted by Sight and Sound magazine, and was open to all films dating from January 1978 - excluding many favorite movies, including Star Wars. Nick James, editor of Sight and Sound, says, "As film history now spans over 100 years it's almost impossible to compile a list of top films. In this new poll we wanted to free people up from choosing the established classics like Citizen Kane and let them concentrate on recent cinema." A Sight and Sound poll to find the best film of all time in August this year was dominated by films from the first half of the century, with Kane topping the list.
Sight and Sound's greatest films of the past 25 years: 1. Apocalypse Now (1979); .2 Raging Bull (1980); 3. Fanny and Alexander (1982); 4. GoodFellas (1990); 5. Blue Velvet (1986); 6. Do the Right Thing (1989); 7. Blade Runner (1982); 8. Chungking Express (1994); 9. Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988); 10. (tie) Once Upon a Time in America (1983), Yi Yi (A One and a Two...) (1999).
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Clip and images from Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Episode 14 – ‘Trials of the Darksaber’ (From Flickeringmyth. 18 January 2017, 7:05 AM, PST)
- Watch Woody Harrelson & Laura Dern in the new trailer for Daniel Clowes’ Wilson (From HeyUGuys. 18 January 2017, 4:54 AM, PST)
- First look at Marvel’s upcoming ‘Rogue One’ comic (From Blogomatic3000. 18 January 2017, 2:01 AM, PST)
Blade Runner (1982)
- ‘Future ’38’ Exclusive Clip: A Man Time Travels From 1938 To 2018 to Save The World (From Indiewire. 17 January 2017, 2:08 PM, PST)
- Canceled Darth Maul Game Art Reveals New Star Wars Characters (From MovieWeb. 16 January 2017, 11:12 AM, PST)
- Four Director’s Cuts I Want To See (From Flickeringmyth. 14 January 2017, 5:50 AM, PST)
- 'Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence': Series Concludes With Debunk of Simpson Son Theory (From hollywoodreporter_tv. 17 January 2017, 8:00 PM, PST)
- 'Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence': Series Concludes With Debunk of Simpson Son Theory (From The Hollywood Reporter - TV News. 17 January 2017, 8:00 PM, PST)
- The West Wing: Lin-Manuel Miranda Creates a Tribute to the NBC Series (From TVSeriesFinale. 16 January 2017, 8:34 PM, PST)