Vietnam war epic Apocalypse Now has been named the greatest film of the past 25 years by a panel of 50 British critics and film writers. Francis Ford Coppola's 1979 classic, starring Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen, beat next best Raging Bull, and Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander came in third place. The survey was conducted by Sight and Sound magazine, and was open to all films dating from January 1978 - excluding many favorite movies, including Star Wars. Nick James, editor of Sight and Sound, says, "As film history now spans over 100 years it's almost impossible to compile a list of top films. In this new poll we wanted to free people up from choosing the established classics like Citizen Kane and let them concentrate on recent cinema." A Sight and Sound poll to find the best film of all time in August this year was dominated by films from the first half of the century, with Kane topping the list.
Sight and Sound's greatest films of the past 25 years: 1. Apocalypse Now (1979); .2 Raging Bull (1980); 3. Fanny and Alexander (1982); 4. GoodFellas (1990); 5. Blue Velvet (1986); 6. Do the Right Thing (1989); 7. Blade Runner (1982); 8. Chungking Express (1994); 9. Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988); 10. (tie) Once Upon a Time in America (1983), Yi Yi (A One and a Two...) (1999).
Similar News ItemsStar Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
- Today in Movie Culture: 'Hamilton' Cast Wishes 'Star Wars' Happy Birthday and More 40th Anniversary Tributes (From Movies.com. 25 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Head-Banging Stormtrooper Speaks Out, But Is He Telling the Truth? | Exclusive (From MovieWeb. 25 May 2017, 5:06 PM, PDT)
- Lucasfilm will decide its next Star Wars Anthology movie in June (From Flickeringmyth. 25 May 2017, 5:01 PM, PDT)
Blade Runner (1982)
- Jerry Perenchio, Billionaire Media Mogul Behind Univision, Dies at 86 (From Variety - TV News. 24 May 2017, 3:30 PM, PDT)
- Woody Harrelson’s One-Night, One-Take, Live Directorial Gamble Pays Off – Deadline Disruptors (From Deadline. 24 May 2017, 12:30 PM, PDT)
- 10+ Years Later: Code 46 Showed Us That We Are All Replicants (From Screen Anarchy. 24 May 2017, 8:00 AM, PDT)
- Recreation Media scores sales on family animations in Cannes (From ScreenDaily. 22 May 2017, 11:00 PM, PDT)
- Robert D. Marta, Camera Operator on ‘Hart to Hart,’ ‘The Jerk,’ Dies at 73 (From Variety - Film News. 9 May 2017, 7:26 PM, PDT)
- New 'Firestarter' Movie on Its Way (From Movies.com. 1 May 2017, 12:00 PM, PDT)