8 articles


'Geostorm': What The Critics Are Saying

9 hours ago | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »

So: How bad is Geostorm?

The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore seems to suggest that it's pretty bad. In a review that describes the movie as "big, dumb, and boring," Dean Devlin's weather horror flick comes across as being … not necessarily the best, shall we say.

"Viewers may have been drawn in by ads featuring tsunamis in Dubai and killer hail in Tokyo. But most of the body of the film consists of people logging into servers, talking about encryption, and reviewing surveillance footage," DeFore complained, but the disappointment goes beyond a lack of disaster porn. Describing Jim Sturgess' »


- Graeme McMillan

Permalink | Report a problem


‘Blade Runner’ Breakout Sylvia Hoeks Joins ‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ Sequel (Exclusive)

10 hours ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

After breaking out in “Blade Runner 2049,” Sylvia Hoeks is looking to move on to another franchise revamp.

The Dutch actress is in talks to join Claire Foy in Sony’s “The Girl in the Spider’s Web,” the sequel to “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Foy, who stars in the Netflix series “The Crown,” is on board to play Lisbeth Salander. The new installment of Sony Pictures’ Millennium franchise will commence production in January in Berlin and Stockholm. The film hits theaters on Oct. 19, 2018.

The studio had no comment on the casting. »


- Justin Kroll

Permalink | Report a problem


‘Boo 2! A Madea Halloween’ Haunts Thursday Box Office With $760,000

15 hours ago | The Wrap | See recent The Wrap news »

Tyler Perry’s “Boo 2! A Madea Halloween” scared up $760,000 at Thursday previews. The Lionsgate release is projected to top this weekend box office with $20 million to $22 million from 2,500 locations, with Lionsgate projecting a start on the lower end of that range. That would be a step down from the $28 million opening for last year’s “Boo!,” which opened to $855,000 at the Thursday previews and went on to gross $73 million. But with a reported budget of $20 million, this will still be a strong opening for Perry’s ninth Madea film, which he wrote and directed. »


- Beatrice Verhoeven

Permalink | Report a problem


‘The Snowman’ With Michael Fassbender Gets Panned and Director Says He Knows Why

14 hours ago | The Wrap | See recent The Wrap news »

Michael Fassbender’s “The Snowman,” opening this weekend, got killed by critics, and director Tomas Alfredson says he has an idea about what went wrong with the thriller. “Our shoot time in Norway was way too short,” the Swedish director told the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, which was then translated by The Independent. “We didn’t get the whole story with us and when we started cutting we discovered that a lot was missing. It’s like when you’re making a big jigsaw puzzle and a few pieces are missing so you don’t see the whole picture.” He added »


- Beatrice Verhoeven

Permalink | Report a problem


Busan: Korea’s ‘After My Death,’ Iran’s ‘Blockage’ Win Competition

48 minutes ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

Films from South Korea and Iran were announced Saturday as joint winners of the Busan Film Festival’s main competition section.

Kim Ui-seok’s “After My Death” and Mohsen Gharaei’s “Blockage” won the New Currents competition which focuses on first and second features by filmmakers from Asia.

“My Death” is critique of the world where reason and tolerance have no sway and is the story of a girl who is suspected of having goaded another schoolgirl into killing herself. “Blockage” reflects the current economic condition of Iran by depicting the overwhelming chaos that happens to a vicious, despicable temporary worker.

The jury was headed by American filmmaker Oliver Stone, and included Iranian director Bahman Ghobadi, French cinematographer Agnes Godard, Philippines’ Lav Diaz and South Korea’s Jang Sun-woo. The jury said that “both films are tightly scripted, and display vivid detail and excellent craftsmanship.”

The first Kim Ji-seok Award, a newly prize »


- Sonia Kil

Permalink | Report a problem


Film Review: Pixar’s ‘Coco’

3 hours ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

Conceived as a vibrant celebration of Mexican culture, writer-director Lee Unkrich’s “Coco” is the 19th feature from Pixar Animation Studios and the first to seriously deal with the deficit of nonwhite characters in its films — so far limited to super-sidekick Frozone in “The Incredibles,” tagalong Russell in “Up” and Mindy Kaling’s green-skinned Disgust in “Inside Out.” It’s a point worth making from the outset, not so much for political reasons (although they matter) but to indicate how this effective yet hardly exceptional addition to the Pixar oeuvre finds at least one significant front on which to innovate, even while coloring comfortably within the lines on practically everything else.

Like Remy, the rodent hero of “Ratatouille” who dreamed of working in a French restaurant, 12-year-old Miguel Rivera (voiced by Anthony Gonzalez) has just one passion in life: He wants to play the guitar. Unfortunately for him, Miguel belongs to a family of humble shoemakers where music »


- Peter Debruge

Permalink | Report a problem


‘Chappaquiddick’ Moves Out of the Crowded Awards Season — Exclusive

4 hours ago | Thompson on Hollywood | See recent Thompson on Hollywood news »

When Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios, riding high after the early hit “47 Meters Down,” bought “Chappaquiddick” and “Hostiles” out of Toronto, it looked like they might provide direct competitors for a Best Actor Oscar slot. Now Scott Cooper’s $50-million western “Hostiles,” which earned upbeat reviews and press out of Telluride and Tiff, is heading for a December release and an Oscar campaign for Christian Bale.

Chappaquiddick,” however, will have to wait.

John Curran’s “Chappaquiddick” (a $4 million pickup, with a $16 million P&A) will wisely hold off for a 2018 release on April 6. Jason Clarke would have not only been competing with Bale for a Best Actor slot, but also with himself in Dee Rees’s southern drama “Mudbound” (November 17, Netflix).

Read More:‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: Jason Clarke Excels in Compelling Teddy Kennedy Biopic That Pulls No Punches Related storiesAFI Fest Adds Galas: 'Call Me by Your Name,' 'The Disaster Artist, »


- Anne Thompson

Permalink | Report a problem


‘Chappaquiddick’ Moves Out of the Crowded Awards Season — Exclusive

4 hours ago | Indiewire | See recent Indiewire news »

When Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios, riding high after the early hit “47 Meters Down,” bought “Chappaquiddick” and “Hostiles” out of Toronto, it looked like they might provide direct competitors for a Best Actor Oscar slot. Now Scott Cooper’s $50-million western “Hostiles,” which earned upbeat reviews and press out of Telluride and Tiff, is heading for a December release and an Oscar campaign for Christian Bale.

Chappaquiddick,” however, will have to wait.

John Curran’s “Chappaquiddick” (a $4 million pickup, with a $16 million P&A) will wisely hold off for a 2018 release on April 6. Jason Clarke would have not only been competing with Bale for a Best Actor slot, but also with himself in Dee Rees’s southern drama “Mudbound” (November 17, Netflix).

Read More:‘Chappaquiddick’ Review: Jason Clarke Excels in Compelling Teddy Kennedy Biopic That Pulls No Punches Related storiesAFI Fest Adds Galas: 'Call Me by Your Name,' 'The Disaster Artist, »


- Anne Thompson

Permalink | Report a problem


Film News Roundup: Paul Allen’s Vulcan Productions Backs Oliver Sacks Documentary

4 hours ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

In today’s film news roundup, Paul Allen comes on board an Oliver Sacks documentary, the Hamptons Take 2 Documentary Film Festival unveils its lineup, and animation veteran Teresa Cheng gets a USC post.

Documentary Backing

Paul G. Allen’s Vulcan Productions is backing the documentary “Oliver Sacks: His Own Life” in partnership with Steeplechase Films, American Masters Pictures, Motto Pictures, Passion Pictures, and Tangled Bank Studios.

Directed by filmmaker Ric Burns (“New York,” “Andy Warhol”), the film attempts to provide an exploration of human consciousness and the intimate relationship between art and science. Burns shot footage in the months before Sacks died in 2015, including more than 80 hours with the physician himself, his partner, and his closest family, friends, and colleagues.

Allen and Carole Tomko, general manager of Vulcan Productions, are executive producers of “Oliver Sacks: His Own Life,” along with Julie Goldman of Motto Pictures and Michael Kantor of American Masters Pictures. Vulcan said Friday »


- Dave McNary

Permalink | Report a problem


‘The Good Doctor’ Is Now Bigger Than ‘NCIS’ and ‘This Is Us,’ By a Hair — Ratings Watch

5 hours ago | Indiewire | See recent Indiewire news »

The Nielsen “Doctor” is in. After three weeks of the new season, the ABC drama “The Good Doctor” appears to be a bonafide hit for the network.

According to the latest Nielsen data covering three days’ worth of time-shifting (including DVR and video on demand viewing), “The Good Doctor” is averaging 16.42 million viewers — making it not just TV’s most-watched new drama, but TV’s most-watched drama, period. That’s because after three weeks, “The Good Doctor” is just a smidge above CBS’ perennial powerhouse “NCIS” (16.35 million) and NBC’s emotional juggernaut “This Is Us” (16.19 million).

The show, starring Freddie Highmore as a high-functioning autistic physician, is also the fall’s No. 1 freshman drama and top-rated 10 p.m. series among Adults 18-49 (3.7 rating).

Read More:‘The Good Doctor’ Is Destroying One Misconception About Autism at a Time

David Shore executive produces “The Good Doctor,” which is based on a South Korean format, »


- Michael Schneider

Permalink | Report a problem


Harvey Weinstein Has “Different Recollection” Of Events In Lupita Nyong’o Op-Ed

5 hours ago | Deadline | See recent Deadline news »

A spokesperson for Harvey Weinstein said the producer “has a different recollection of the events” that came to light in a New York Times op-ed piece penned by Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong’o. The comments came a day after the essay appeared in which she detailed a series of alleged Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment encounters that included several explicit passes Weinstein tried to foist on her early in her career. “Mr. Weinstein has a different recollection of the… »


Permalink | Report a problem


Superhero Bits: Shazam Crew Expands, New Green Arrow Suits Up, Gotham by Gaslight & More

6 hours ago | Slash Film | See recent Slash Film news »

Who will be the new Green Arrow on the next episode of the sixth season of Arrow? Who has joined the Shazam crew as director of photography and costume designer? What did Josh Brolin think of the first footage he saw of himself as Thanos? Why don’t we ever see Avengers Tower in The Defenders? […]

The post Superhero Bits: Shazam Crew Expands, New Green Arrow Suits Up, Gotham by Gaslight & More appeared first on /Film. »


- Ethan Anderton

Permalink | Report a problem


8 articles

  « Prev | Next »

IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners