1-20 of 118 items from 2014 « Prev | Next »
"The crazy 'acid trip' way of traveling through dimensions and traveling through realms, is something that we think is very, very cool..." said Marvel's Kevin Feige, about the studio's big screen "Doctor Strange" feature, with a production start date now set, targeting a July 8, 2016 release:
The new film will be directed by Scott Derrickson from a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, with Joaquin Phoenix in final talks for the lead role. Pre-production is now starting @ the UK's Pinewood-Shepperton with principal photography scheduled for May 2015.
"(Strange) is a classic Marvel origin story, because he’s got one of the best origins ever, and it’s our opportunity to take that left turn into the supernatural.
"Now what is the definition of ‘supernatural’? It varies...based in physics and based in quantum mechanics...an explanation of how sorcerers do what they do..."
Director Derrickson is no stranger to the 'occult', having previously directed »
- Michael Stevens
The screenwriter of the amazing Fargo series on FX, Noah Hawley, is apparently writing one of Universal Picture's monster horror films. There are no details on which monster he'll be working on. In Deadline's report, it just says, “Hawley, while readying another season of Fargo, is separately scripting an untitled project at Universal that will be part of that studio’s classic monster franchise push.”
The studio is hoping to build a cinematic universe with these monsters. Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan are currently developing a plan to relaunch the studio’s classic monsters starting with the Mummy, which Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) wrote for Kurtzman to direct. That movie will be released on June 24th, 2016. According to Kurtzman, some of the monsters will get their own movie, but other monsters will appear in other films, as secondary characters. They just need to figure out how to balance that out.
- Joey Paur
Exclusive: Marvel in advanced negotiations to send superhero film to Pinewood-Shepperton for mid-2015 shoot.
Preparations on the ground are already in motion with crew being assembled for a move into Shepperton in late 2014/early 2015.
A tentative shoot date has been mooted for May 2015 with Marvel having reportedly dated the film’s release for July 8, 2016.
Scott Derrickson is due to direct the feature about the former neurosurgeon who serves as the Sorcerer Supreme - the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats.
The character, who made his first appearance in the Marvel Universe more than 50 years ago, was first created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. A number of studios have tried to get a feature about him off the ground since the 1990s.
Doctor Strange has been described as “the mightiest magician in the cosmos” and “the most »
- email@example.com (Andreas Wiseman)
Recent weeks have proven fruitless in terms of an official announcement from the studio, with a rumour surfacing in the past couple of days that Jack Huston (Boardwalk Empire) is circling the role. But rumours being rumours, especially when it comes to comic book movies, you have to take things with a pinch of salt.
And whilst the same goes for this latest news, the source is much more reliable, with a source close to the project describing Joaquin Phoenix as being very close to signing a contract to take the lead as Steven Strange, better known as Doctor Strange.
The character was of course name-dropped in the Marvel Cinematic Universe earlier this year when »
- Kenji Lloyd
At San Diego Comic-Con last month, Marvel Studios held back on announcing any upcoming projects outside of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 despite having – at the time – just added six release dates for untitled theatrical releases. It was strange but perhaps not when considering that rival comic book movie studios Twentieth Century Fox and Warner Bros. also opted out of unveiling their future plans.
Given that Doctor Strange still didn’t have a date despite Scott Derrickson being officially attached to direct and Jon Spaihts brought in as a new writer, it seemed the most likely to show up in some capacity at the convention, even it it was just a title card and confirmed release date. We know ...
- Rob Keyes
This Is Infamous reports that "Boardwalk Empire" and "American Hustle" star Huston is the latest candidate, and the actor is "definitely in the running" but doesn't mention if previous actors linked to the project are also still in the running including Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto, Tom Hardy and Joaquin Phoenix.
31-year-old Huston has been rumored for several Marvel roles before - he was up for Doctor Doom in the "Fantastic Four" reboot, and was a finalist for the Star-Lord role in Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy". He's well regard by his peers, but isn't a box-office name which would make sense for a part that requires a multiple film commitment.
How reliable is the rumor? On the one hand Huston is on many people's castings lists for »
- Garth Franklin
There have been no shortage of casting rumors when it comes to Marvel Studios' next big project, the Phase Three adventure Doctor Strange, which already has Scott Derrickson attached to direct from a script by Jon Spaihts. Actors such as Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jared Leto, Tom Hardy, Joaquin Phoenix and, most recently, Jon Hamm have been mentioned as possible candidates over the past year. But the role has still not been officially cast yet. Today, This Is Infamous reports that Boardwalk Empire star Jack Huston is the latest candidate.
The site's sources reveal the actor is "definitely in the running," although it isn't known if any of the previously-mentioned actors are still in contention as well. Jack Huston was previously one of the finalists for the Star-Lord role in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which was eventually won by Chris Pratt.
The actor also falls in line with »
Doctor Strange doesn’t have an official release date yet, but with director Scott Derrickson (Sinister) onboard and screenwriter Jon Spaihts (The Mummy (2016)) actively revising the script, odds are this is the film that Marvel Studios is eying for a July 2016 arrival.
That means that a casting announce concerning who’s going to play Stephen Vincent Strange ought to be coming sooner than later, well ahead of when production should be getting underway in the first half of 2015. Jack Huston is the latest actor whose name has been thrown into the rumored Doctor Strange actor ring, thanks to This Is Infamous.
31-year old Huston – a Boardwalk Empire veteran, costar of such recent films as Kill ...
- Sandy Schaefer
Our weekly round-up of all the latest superhero news and talking points, including Ant-Man, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Cage, Big Hero 6, The Sinister Six, The Fantastic Four, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Superman Lives, Shazam, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Constantine, Powers and more….
Marvel Studios kicked off production on the Phase Three launching Ant-Man this week in San Francisco, with director Peyton Reed taking to Twitter to officially announce the start of filming, which was followed by the first official shot of Paul Rudd as Scott Lang, a couple of behind-the-scenes images of Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne, and a few FM exclusive set photos and a scene description of the first day’s shoot [see here]. And to coincide with the start of production, Marvel released an updated cast list – which also includes Michael Douglas »
- Gary Collinson
(Cbr) - When Marvel's "Doctor Strange" finally arrives in theaters, don't expect to see a retelling of his journey from arrogant young surgeon to disciple of the Ancient One to Sorcerer Supreme. Although purported script details surfaced more than a year ago, tracing the Master of the Mystic Arts back to age 10, director Scott Derrickson's film is believed to have done away with all of that, at least in part because the studio is moving away from origin tales. That comes from Devin Faraci of Badass Digest in an appearance on the "Meet the Movie Press podcast." Around the 52-minute mark, he says: So, for "Doctor Strange" they’ve had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, "Doctor Strange" movie no longer has an origin. »
- TJ Dietsch, Comic Book Resources
According to Devin Faraci, the editor of Badass Digest and the man responsible for a number of Star Wars: Episode VII spoilers last week, Marvel's upcoming Doctor Strange will not include an origin story.
This, of course, has not been confirmed by Marvel or Disney at this time.
The screenplay will instead begin in 'the midst of things' with Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange already a superhero. Faraci explains that Marvel has had a screenplay for a very long time, which included Baron Mordo as the villain. But new screenwriter Jon Spaihts has thrown all previous drafts out, as Marvel plans to not make any more origin movies for it's upcoming characters as it heads into Phase Three.
It sounds like Marvel is looking to move away from origin stories and like we specifically won't be getting one in the Doctor Strange film that is being directed by Scott Derrickson. The news came from Badass Digest's Devin Faraci while he was a guest on Meet The Movie Press. This is exactly what he had to say about it:
"So, for Doctor Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Doctor Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Doctor Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, on his own, without any of the previous stuff. Not even touching the previous script. »
- Joey Paur
The Doctor Strange film will not be an origin story, it has been reported.
"So, for Doctor Strange they've had a script in-house forever," he said during a Meet the Movie Press interview. "It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy.
"That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, the Doctor Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res.
"It has Dr Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, on his own, without any of the previous stuff. They're not even touching the previous script."
The lead »
Many expected Marvel to make a big announcement involving Doctor Strange at this year's Sdcc, but unfortunately it just didn't happen. In fact, besides casting rumors like this one, there hasn't been a lot of news about the project since it was announced Scott Derrickson will be directing the film from a script by Jon Spaihts. Devin Faraci from Badass Digest recently appeared on Meet the Movie Press, and he says Spaihts' script is quite different compared to »
- Jesse Giroux
Marvel had a screenplay for a "Doctor Strange" movie for several years. Then, in recent months they hired both Scott Derrickson ("Deliver Us From Evil") to direct and screenwriter Jon Spaihts ("Prometheus") to work on the script which was rumored to be starting over.
Appearing on Meet The Movie Press, Devin Faraci of Badass Digest has spoken a bit about Spaiht's script and how it differs from the previous one:
"So, for Dr. Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories.
So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins in medias res. It has Dr. Strange already established as the Sorcerer Supreme. It is a totally new script. Jon Spaihts is working totally new, On his own, without any of the previous stuff. »
- Garth Franklin
According to Badass Digest’s Devin Faraci, who recently appeared on the “Meet the Movie Press” podcast, Marvel’s upcoming Doctor Strange film will not be an origin story. Instead the film is supposedly “not going to be twenty-minutes of [Stephen Strange] being a doctor,” and will jump right into the character being the fully-formed Sorcerer Supreme.
Faraci states that at one point, the film was a traditional superhero origin story, but that’s all changed now that Prometheus scribe Jon Spaihts is on board to rewrite the script previously penned by Sahara and Conan the Barbarian writer Joshua Oppenheimer.
“So, for Doctor Strange they’ve had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It’s got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That’s all gone. Marvel’s new thing is no more origin stories. So, Doctor Strange movie no longer has an origin. »
- James Garcia
"This is not going to be twenty-minutes of him being a doctor" - Devin Faraci Back in June and July of 2013, Latino Review posted a couple of breakdowns regarding the Dr. Strange script that was written by Joshua Oppenheimer in 2010. Since then, Marvel has changed their Dr. Strange movie plans. They've recently hired Scott Derrickson ("Deliver Us From Evil") to direct it and hired screenwriter Jon Spaihts ("Prometheus") to work on the screenplay. Devin Faraci of Badass Digest appeared on Meet The Movie Press alongside Mark Reilly and Jeff Sneider. There, he revealed, Dr. Strange is not an origin story. "So, for Dr. Strange they've had a script in-house forever. It is a pretty standard origin story for Doctor Strange. It's got Baron Mordo as the bad guy. That's all gone. Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So, Dr. Strange movie no longer has an origin. It begins »
Although a Doctor Strange film is confirmed to be included in Marvel’s Phase 3, the movie still has no release date and cannot premiere until July 2016 at the earliest. Marvel enlisted Scott Derrickson (Deliver Us From Evil) to direct and Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) to revise the script written by Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer. With production to officially start in early 2015 and casting to begin soon, the project is one of Marvel’s most talked about, especially at San Diego Comic-Con, where we thought the studio might announce a release date for it.
- Molly Freeman
Kurtzman is in final negotiations to direct Universal’s reboot of The Mummy. Kurtzman, who with former writing partner Robert Orci wrote some of the biggest franchise players in the last decade, is already producing the movie with Chris Morgan.
Kurtzman and Morgan are weaving together a cinematic universe for Universal based on its movie monsters properties, and The Mummy is due to be one of the first one out of the gate, setting the tone and stage for the rest of the universe.
Plot details are still under wraps, but it was previously indicated that the new Mummy is set in the present and is not a horror play but rather an action-adventure tentpole with horror elements. »
- Steve Barton
The studio confirmed on Thursday (July 31) that The Huntsman will hit cinemas on April 22, 2016, with Chris Hemsworth returning as the titular hero.
It was recently announced that the prequel will focus solely Hemsworth's character The Huntsman, with Kristen Stewart's Snow White being excised entirely.
1-20 of 118 items from 2014 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners