1-20 of 38 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
Back in August, Sony Pictures announced release dates for 16 new movies hitting theaters between 2016 and 2019. Two of those were Bad Boys 3 (February 17, 2017) and Bad Boys 4 (July 3, 2019), although the studio has yet to confirm whether or not original franchise stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence will be back as Mike Lowery and Marcus Burnett. While promoting his first new music single in 10 years, Will Smith appeared on Beats 1, where he was asked about Bad Boys 3 and gave a cryptic response, teasing that the sequel may actually arrive in 2016.
"There's a very, very, very strong possibility that you will be seeing a Bad Boys within the next 12-16 months."
The "16 months" he mentioned matches up almost perfectly with Sony's previously-announced February 17, 2017. If it arrived in 12 months, we'd see it arrive early in October, 2016. It's also worth noting that he never mentions anything about returning to play Mike Lowery. Shortly »
When Sony blew the lid off its release schedule, penciling in launch dates for the likes of Underworld 5, The Dark Tower and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, the studio also showed some love to its dormant 90s action series by slating both Bad Boys 3 and Bad Boys 4 for arrival in 2017 and 2019, respectively.
Seems Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowrey are coming back in a major way, right? Not so fast. Will Smith cast doubt over the possibility of him returning as the latter narcotics detective for the long-rumored sequel. Although, during an interview with Zane Low for Beats 1 Radio, the actor appeared much more optimistic about the actioner, even going so far as to say that fans could expect Bad Boys 3 at some point within the “next 12 to 16 months.”
“There is a very, very, very strong possibility that you will be seeing a Bad Boys within the next 12 to 16 months. »
- Michael Briers
The actor spoke about the long-awaited sequel - which has been pencilled in for a February 17, 2017 release by Sony - during an interview with Zane Lowe for Beats 1 Radio yesterday (October 5). Watch Smith's comments from 18:30 below.
Smith said: "There is a very, very, very strong possibility that you will be seeing a Bad Boys within the next 12 to 16 months."
Elsewhere, producer Jerry Bruckheimer told Digital Spy last year that »
Michael Moore's latest political entertainment "Where To Invade Next?" is sure to be the biggest documentary event at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. But it won't be the festival's only nonfiction find. This year, there are reportedly 50% more documentaries than last year, and several big names will be unveiling their latest projects, including Barbara Kopple's "Sharon Jones," Morgan Neville's "The Music of Strangers," Amy Berg's Janis Joplin portrait "Janis: Little Girl Blue," and the late Sydney Pollack's "Amazing Grace." In addition, the festival will host the world premiere of David Guggenheim's "He Named Me Malala," the first nonfiction release from powerhouse distributor Fox Searchlight since 2007's "Young@Heart." Searchlight's re-entrance into the nonfiction business could be a sign of things to come at this year's festival. Like the Oscar-hungry fiction films at the festival, Toronto has »
- Anthony Kaufman
The Toronto International Film Festival today announced a new round of titles that will play at this year’s fest, which kicks off September 10 through September 20, for its docus, Midnight Madness and Vanguard sections. Among the docs playing are David Guggenheim’s much-anticipated Malala Yousefai feature docu He Named Me Malala. Also playing at the fest will be Emmanuel Leconte and Daniel Leconte’s Je Suis Charlie, about the attack on the Charlie Hebdo HQ in Paris by… »
Sony Pictures announced a slew of release dates for projects that have been previously announced, and some that are just being revealed. Among these new release dates are the long-awaited Bad Boys 3, set for release on February 17, 2017, and another sequel, Bad Boys 4, arriving on July 3, 2019. In total, the studio set release dates for 16 movies between 2016 and 2019, which represent big franchise movies like these sequels and brand new projects as well.
Bad Boys 3 will go up against the final Maze Runner movie, The Maze Runner: The Death Cure on February 17, 2017. It also comes a week after three more high-profile projects, Universal's Fifty Shades Darker, 20th Century Fox's The Mountain Between Us and Warner Bros.' The Lego Batman Movie. The project has been in development for several years, with the last installment, Bad Boys II, debuting in 2003.
The 40th edition of the Toronto International Film Festival now has something of a slate. Festival toppers Cameron Bailey and Piers Handling presided over a press conference Tuesday morning where more than 34 films were announced including the world premieres of "The Martian," "The Family Fang" and "Demolition." It's an intriguing initial lineup for the venerable Canadian institution and something of a steadying the ship after losing some major debuts to Venice, Telluride and the New York Film Festival over the past few years. Well, maybe. The most impressive world premieres include the aforementioned "Demolition" with Jake Gyllenhaal (officially the best opening night film in recent memory), "The Family Fang" with Nicole Kidman, "Legend" with Tom Hardy, "Trumbo" with Bryan Cranston, "The Martian" with Matt Damon and Lance Armstrong doc "The Program" with Ben Foster and Michael Moore's latest documentary, "Where to Invade Next." Notable films that will have premiered »
- Gregory Ellwood
Proving that scripts written on spec are still ocassionally currency in Hollywood, the horror thriller Bed Rest has just come out of practically nowhere to get the studios excited. Lori Evans Taylor is the writer, and MGM the company that grabbed the rights, making a preemptive deal for a cool six figures. Chris Sparling (Buried) will produce.Sounding like a meaty one-woman show for the right actress, Bed Rest revolves around an expectant woman, you guessed it, confined to her duvet due to complications with her pregnancy. And while she's there, "bad things happen". Films like Disturbia (and by association Rear Window) are being thrown around as comparisons, but we'd suggest there's a bit of Stephen King's Gerald's Game in that set-up too.Spec scripts were big business back in the '80s and '90s, with writers like Shane Black and Joe Eszterhas coining it before the bubble burst. »
The troubled Uncharted movie has lost its third director.
The adaptation of the popular video game is once again without someone at the helm after Seth Gordon opted to part ways with Sony, according to The Wrap.
Although there has been no comment from either party, it is thought that Gordon was unhappy with a new creative direction proposed by Sony chief Tom Rothman.
Last year, Sony handed the film a release date of June 10, 2016, but it is now unclear whether this deadline will be met. Shooting on the movie was due to commence at the beginning of the year.
The movie has been in development at Sony since 2008, with David O Russell and Neil Burger both exiting after brief stints as director.
Watch a »
Sony’s attempt to turn the Uncharted game series from PlayStation success into potential movie franchise just can’t seem to get past the loading screen. In another blow for the project, director Seth Gordon has decided to move on. Treasure hunter Nathan Drake would seem to be a good fit for cinema, with his Indiana Jones-style attitude and scope for adventure. But try as it might, the studio just hasn’t been able to make it work. Writers such as Kyle Ward, David O. Russell (who also wanted to direct), Marianne and Cormac Wibberley, David Guggenheim and Mark Boal have all tried to crack it and Neil Burger briefly considered directing before heading off to do Divergent. What’s the hold up this time? As originally reported by Heroic Hollywood, it’s apparently financial issues, as Sony boss Tom Rothman wants to change the creative direction of the film »
Unless you’re talking about Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters or Toy Story 3, it’s usually not a good sign to hear of a sequel to a long retired franchise, least of all from a new, upstart director (just ask Jurassic World). This week however a director started a project that might even be an improvement on the original.
Deadline exclusively reported Joe Carnahan’s (The Grey) possible involvement in Bad Boys 3. David Guggenheim (Safe House) penned a screenplay for the sequel to Michael Bay’s 1995 and 2003 films, and the studio is hoping to move negotiations along quickly, as they plan to approach both Will Smith and Martin Lawrence to return.
We talked recently about Brad Pitt‘s involvement on a new project just bought by Netflix, but their top competitor Amazon has signed another major name: Terry Gilliam. Indiewire spoke with the cult director and Monty Python alum, »
- Brian Welk
Joe Carnahan In Talks To Rewrite Script For And Direct Bad Boys 3. The director of films as as incredible as Narc (2002) and The Grey (2011) and films as mediocre and forgettable as Smokin’ Aces (2006) and The A-Team (2010) is in early talks to rewrite David Guggenheim‘s script for Bad Boys III and possibly direct.
Bad Boys (1995) was one of my favourite action films of the 1990s. All of Michael Bay‘s kineticism was on display, but restrained and measured. This was before he got all that ‘Fuck You Money’ and retreated to chugging out plastic rollercoaster rides in the form of Transformers movies. The attitude of that movie was fun and in your face, it was a rated R buddy-cop film that was filled with incredible action scenes.
The pinnacle of this great aforementioned combination of creative output is strangely found in Bad Boys 2, for most. I was always »
- Marco Margaritoff
As a fan of Joe Carnahan's work -- Narc, Stretch, Smokin' Aces, The Grey -- I'm pretty much up for whatever he's working on next and the idea of him stepping in for Michael Bay and taking over the Bad Boys franchise sounds like something right up his alley. Word from Deadline is Carnahan has been brought on to take a pass at David Guggenheim's script for a Bad Boys 3 with eyes at possibly directing. The goal is to have the project ready for Will Smith to consider as soon as he's done shooting Suicide Squad with David Ayer. Considering Smith could use a couple big hits after After Earth and the modest returns for Focus, I have to imagine he'd be up for returning to one of his most popular franchise and I think we all know Martin Lawrence is in. In fact, Lawrence was on »
- Brad Brevet
For pretty much a decade, Sony has been trying to get Will Smith and Martin Lawrence to return and make "Bad Boys 3." In 2009, the studio hired Peter Craig ("The Town") to write a script, and when that one didn't take, David Guggenheim ("Safe House," "Stolen") was tapped to give it a whirl. And it seems more work needs to be done, and another high profile name is being brought into the fold. Joe Carnahan ("The Grey," "The A-Team," "Smokin' Aces") has been hired to rewrite the script with an eye to possibly direct the movie as well. So, time to start popping the champagne? Not quite. The most important cog in this machine, the picky Will Smith, hasn't agreed to anything just yet and Deadline notes that Sony is racing to get a new script done so the actor can "consider" the movie for his next project once he's finished with "Suicide Squad. »
- Kevin Jagernauth
Deadline is reporting that a new Bad Boys film, the third in the franchise, is still in active development and may have found itself a director.
Smokin’ Aces and Narc helmer Joe Carnahan has been linked to the film, with early talks between the director and Sony rumoured to have already taken place. David Guggenheim (Safe House) has written the new film, which Sony is hoping will go into production within the next year after star Will Smith has completed his work on Warner Bros. Pictures’ DC adaptation, Suicide Squad. As yet, there’s no word on whether fellow co-star Martin Lawrence will feature.
Bad Boys was released in 1995, with its sequel arriving in 2003, and together the two films grossed over $410 million worldwide.
- Scott J. Davis
In 2014, producer Jerry Bruckheimer told Digital Spy that he wanted Bay to return to the franchise.
"We'd love to get Michael Bay [but] he's very busy right now. Hopefully we can twist his arm and get him in there, »
It’s been a long time since we heard anything about Bad Boys 3, a movie that has been talked about a lot, but one I think we resign ourselves to never seeing the more we hear about it maybe happening. But the latest piece of news about the second sequel (fifteen years after Bad Boys 2) to Michael Bay’s most beloved franchise is something that fills me with hope, with Deadline reporting that Joe Carnahan, no stranger to big budget, over the top action thanks to The A-Team and Smokin’ Aces (but also capable of a whole lot more, as we saw with Narc and The Grey), is being brought in by Sony with an eye to re-write David Guggenheim’s existing script, and possibly direct if it finally goes forward. Michael Bay seems totally enamoured with giant CG robots at the moment, so if he isn’t returning, »
- email@example.com (Tom White)
The idea of a Bad Boys 3 has been floating around since at least 2009, but Sony hasn’t yet found an idea or script it really likes. Safe House writer David Guggenheim was most recently working up the screenplay, and now the studio has The Grey’s Joe Carnahan in early talks to take a crack at a new draft with an eye to potentially directing.It’s still all early days – Carnahan does not have a deal yet, but Sony definitely wants this brought to a place that could make Will Smith happy enough to sign on quickly, so that he can consider working on it after Suicide Squad. Whether that happens remains to be seen, and the third outing has certainly waited long enough already, so it can stand a bit more of a delay. But Carnahan as a director would also seem to be a good choice »
It's little secret that plans have been afoot for a third Bad Boys movie for some time, with the problem, as producer Jerry Bruckheimer told us back in summer 2013, being reuniting the key personnel. Back then, he was "trying to find a hole in Will Smith's schedule", and with regards director Michael Bay (who helmed the first two films), "trying to get on his docket".
With Michael Bay's future seemingly tied into making endless Transformers movies right now though (as well as new sci-fi movie Time Salvager), it seemed that the chances of him finding time for Bad Boys 3 were slim. And so it's proven, as a new director is apparently now in talks to make the film.
We love Bad Boys here at Thn, and can’t believe that Michael Bay hasn’t serviced us with one since 2003. Now it looks like the challenge of putting a Bad Boys 3 movie onto the screen has fallen to The Grey director Joe Carnahan who is in very early talks to write and direct.
The filmmaker, who also brought us that rather brilliant Narc movie many years ago, will actually rewrite David Guggenheim‘s ‘strong draft’ for a potential Bad Boys 3 movie for producer Jerry Bruckheimer. Deadline, who broke the story, reveal that this could be Will Smith‘s next movie following his work on the Suicide Squad movie over at Warner Bros.
- Paul Heath
1-20 of 38 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners