- Wrote an article called "Oppressed Hair Puts a Ceiling on the Brain" published in the June 1988 issue of Ms. It was from a speech she gave at Spelman College.
- Novel: "The Color Purple"
- Novel: "The Temple of My Familiar" (1989)
- (2013-2014 Season) Her novel, "The Color Purple," was adapted into a musical by Allee Willis, Stephen Bray, and Brenda Russell at the Mercury Theater in Chicago, Illinois with Trisha Jeffrey, Adrienne Walker, and Jasondra Johnson in the cast. Frances Maggio was costume designer.
- (December 13, 2007 to March 9, 2008) Her book was adapted into the musical, "The Color Purple," at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, California with Jeannette Bayardelle, Felicia P. Fields, Michelle Williams, Stu James, LaToya London, Stephanie St. James and Rufus Bonds Jr. in the cast. Marsha Norman wrote the book. Brenda Russell , Allee Willis and Stephen Bray were composers and lyricists. Gary Griffin was director. Donald Byrd was choreographer. Paul Tazewell was costume designer.