- (1888) Novel: "Pierre and Jean".
- Story: "The Necklace" (filmed as The Necklace (1909))
- Novel: "The Son's Return" (filmed as The Son's Return (1909))
- (1885) Novel: "Bel Ami" (filmed as The Private Affairs of Bel Ami (1947)).
- (1984-1985 season) His short story inspired the musical, "Albert Herring," at the Long Wharf Theatre (Mainstage) in New Haven, Connecticut. Benjamin Britten wrote the book and was also composer. Eric Crozier was lyricist. Henry Boys wrote the vocal score. Arvin Brown was director. Michael Yeargan was set designer. David Murin was costume designer. Ronald Wallace was lighting designer. Murry Sidlin was conductor.