1-20 of 101 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
Yesterday, a report surfaced that Universal Pictures has narrowed its Fast & Furious 8 director search down to four candidates, F. Gary Gray, Adam Wingard, Louis Leterrier and William Eubank. While principal photography on Fast & Furious 8 isn't expected to begin until next spring, pre-production is slated to begin at the end of this month, and the studio was expected to make their decision very quickly. Variety reports that F. Gary Gray has been selected to take the helm, and while Universal hasn't confirmed the report, star-producer Vin Diesel posted a photo of himself and the filmmaker on his Facebook page.
This news comes less than a week after Vin Diesel himself said that he wants Rob Cohen, who directed the first movie in the franchise, 2001's The Fast and the Furious, to come back for Fast & Furious 8. The actor said that his late co-star Paul Walker always wanted him »
Last week, Fast & Furious franchise star Vin Diesel revealed that a director will be announced soon for Fast & Furious 8. Furious 7 director James Wan has moved on to direct The Conjuring: The Enfield Poltergeist, and Justin Lin, who directed the last four Fast & Furious movies before that, is currently shooting Star Trek Beyond. Today, Variety reports that Universal Pictures has narrowed their directorial choice down to four candidates, F. Gary Gray, Adam Wingard, Louis Leterrier and William Eubank.
The report claims that none of these four filmmakers have emerged as the front runner yet, but the studio is reportedly close to making their final decision. Variety also reports that there is no truth to rumors that Vin Diesel may be in the mix to direct Fast & Furious 8 himself. The actor did reveal over the weekend that he wants Rob Cohen, who directed the very first The Fast and the Furious »
Earlier this week, Vin Diesel confirmed rumors that he was holding up Fast & Furious 8 with his director's search. He wants the next film to be perfect. And he has a lot vested in it. Previous rumors claimed he wanted to direct the sequel himself. He's now gone on record, addressing his fans on Facebook. Yes, he explains, his mother did urge him to direct Fast & Furious 8 or he wouldn't make the movie. But it doesn't sound like that is happening. Instead, Vin Diesel wants to bring in longtime collaborated and director of the very first movie in the franchise, 2001's The Fast and the Furious, to return to the helm. This is what Vin Diesel has to say on the current state of Fast & Furious:
It is no secret that my good friend Justin [Lin] and I have been very intensely discussing the trilogy, as we have dreamed it for almost a decade. »
Before Marvel and Sony reached a deal to bring Spider-Man into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there were a number of spinoffs on the way based in the world of The Amazing Spider-Man. Drew Goddard was developing Sinister Six, Alex Kurtzman looked set to finally make that long rumoured Venom movie a reality, and there was even talk of a female led team movie of some sort.
Those have all been put on indefinite hold while Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios look to make a Spider-Man solo movie which actually works, but Feige recently had this to say about the chances of those or any spinoffs happening:
“Well, there could be [spin-offs]. But the truth is, our job right now is that single Spider-Man movie based in the McU. And that’s where all our focus is.”
So, it doesn’t sound like those movies or any others are even close to »
- Josh Wilding
Last week, news surfaced that Universal Pictures is having difficulties finding a director for Fast & Furious 8, which the studio has set for release on April 14, 2017. The report suggested that Fast & Furious franchise star Vin Diesel is at least partially to blame for the sequel having no director in place yet, claiming the actor/producer is difficult to work with, and that he may be eyeing to direct one of the forthcoming sequels himself. Over the weekend, Vin Diesel took to his Facebook page to issue a statement, revealing that no filmmaker has been given an offer to direct Fast & Furious 8, which will be part of the franchise's last trilogy.
"The fans of the Fast & Furious Saga are the best fans in the world... Since I became the Producer in 2008, you have been with me every step of the way... literally giving me feedback that proved invaluable. Thank you. »
Limitless didn’t just become a TV series. It essentially became Limitless 2. Bradley Cooper appears in the pilot and his movie character, Eddie Morra, exists in this world. Morra is now running for president. The drug Nzt has now fallen to Brian Sinclair (Jake McDorman), who uses it in conjunction with the FBI. When Brian […]
- Fred Topel
Across film and TV, there have been many Star Trek projects that never got the greenlight. Such as these...
Since 1964 (yep) there have been Star Trek projects that simply didn't make it to the big or small screen. And before Star Trek's second (proper) coming in 1979's Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the franchise had more than its fair share of attempts to come to life, and then be reborn.
This lot in fact...
Star Trek – The (original) Original Series
The pilot that sold the show to NBC was in fact the second pilot, after the original, entitled The Cage, filmed at the end of 1964, was deemed too cerebral. That's on top of having other multiple issues that TV executives (and test audiences) of the time couldn't cope with – you know, like gender equality in the workplace. »
Say what you will about The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, but one thing you can’t fault them for is their pre-planning. From the very first scene of Andrew Garfield’s first film in the Spidey suit, seeds were sown for a long form multi-film arc. What’s the story with Peter’s parents? What are Oscorp really up to? Who’s that guy wearing a trilby?
You could argue that director Marc Webb and Sony played it a little too coy with all their long-running mysteries. It looks a lot like a hubris now, that they would have the confidence to withhold any big revelations for two whole films, »
With Spider-Man now firmly behind him, and his new indie film "99 Homes" to promote, actor Andrew Garfield has spoken more openly about his run as Peter Parker in "The Amazing Spider-Man" movies and his overall dissatisfaction with making such a large scale film that tries to be so wide appealing.
Though Garfield won't go into details about the behind the scenes issues on both films, he tells The Playlist that the pressure and the way the franchise plays it safe ultimately turned it into a not fun experience:
"The pressure to get it right, to please everyone… it's not going to happen...You end up pleasing no one, or everyone just a little bit. Like, 'Eh, that was good.' [The films are] mass-marketed, like 'We want 50-year-old white men to love it, gay teenagers to love it, bigot homophobes in Middle America to love it, 11-year-old girls to love it.' That's canning Coke. »
- Garth Franklin
Andrew Garfield was keen to see Spider-Man be part of Marvel's cinematic universe - and had been arguing the case for some time...
You more than likely know the story so far. Following the commercial disappointment of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - which didn't make, basically, what Sony wanted it to make - a new screen future for Spider-Man was laid out. Sony and Marvel would work together on new Spider-Man films, the character would join the Marvel cinematic universe in Captain America: Civil War, and the role would be recast.
Garfield has been promoting his new film, 99 Homes, and has been chatting to Uproxx about it. »
With Marvel and Sony Pictures having joined forces for the next incarnation of the "Spider-Man" franchise with Tom Holland in the lead role, one person who has of late been asked about the character's on screen future has been the previous Peter Parker himself actor Andrew Garfield.
In a new interview for UpRoxx, Garfield was asked if Marvel ever approached him about putting on the suit one more time:
"No. To be honest [pauses], all the ins and outs of what happened is a more tender conversation that maybe I don't want to talk about in public in a press situation. But all I can say is that I'm stoked to go and watch a Marvel film of Spider-Man. I'm really, really grateful for the whole ride of it. And I'm really excited for the next one."
Garfield also revealed that he had been trying to get Sony to 'hook up' »
- Garth Franklin
In this edition of The Week in Spandex, we look at Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Blade, Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 3, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Luke Cage, X-Men: Apocalypse, Gambit, Fantastic Four, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Man of Steel 2, Batman, Suicide Squad, Gotham, The Flash, Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Vixen, Supergirl, Booster Gold, Heroes Reborn and more…
Marvel’s first Phase Three offering Captain America: Civil War wrapped production this week, after which a selection of promotional art arrived online, showing which characters will be joining Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man’s (Robert Downey Jr.) “teams” in the big superhero face-off. We’ll not spoil them, but you can take a look at the promo art yourself here, and click here to read Jeremy Renner’s comments on which side Hawkeye is on. »
- Gary Collinson
Earlier this month we heard some comments from Andrew Garfield about Tom Holland taking over the role of Spider-Man for the wall-crawler’s upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe reboot, and now Garfield has revealed to Uproxx that he’d petitioned Sony to strike a deal with marvel, as well as speaking briefly about the now-aborted Amazing Spider-Man 3.
“I’ve been petitioning to hook up with Marvel since the beginning, so I’m really glad they’re finally doing it,” said Garfield, before adding that he was never in talks with Marvel to continue as Peter: “To be honest [pauses], all the ins and outs of what happened is a more tender conversation that maybe I don’t want to talk about in public in a press situation. But all I can say is that I’m stoked to go and watch a Marvel film of Spider-Man.”
Garfield then touched upon where »
- Gary Collinson
Before Marvel and Sony Pictures finally decided to join forces for a new Spider-Man reboot, which has Tom Holland set to star as a much younger Spidey, the studio was still developing another sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, with Andrew Garfield set to return as Peter Parker. The Marvel/Sony deal pleased a great deal of fans, since it allows for Spidey to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe for the first time, but some fans still wanted to see Andrew Garfield return as the beloved character. Andrew Garfield revealed in a recent interview with Uproxx that he wasn't asked to come back, although he wouldn't go into too many details. When asked if Marvel ever approached him about putting on the Spidey suit one more time, he had this to say.
"No. To be honest [pauses], all the ins and outs of what happened is a »
Based on the leaked "Sony Hack" emails, neither Sony nor Marvel Studios had much interest in bringing back Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man when they started discussing working together, but The Amazing Spider-Man 3 was still going to happen for a little while at least. Asked by Uproxx where development on the threequel was and what it would have entailed, the British actor said: "I was actually starting to workshop ideas with Alex Kurtzman, who was going to be writing it. We thought to kind of start from the base level, the foundational level of where have we left Peter and where do we want to see him go and what’s logical. And how do we build upon where we left off with this deep, desperate moment with Gwen? So, yeah, we got to some pretty heavy places and I was really excited to kind of explore it and be involved »
Over the years that Den Of Geek has been going, we've regularly been charting the assortment of reboots and remakes that are making their way through the Hollywood system. This, then, is the current state of play. We've removed a bunch of projects that seem utterly dead - the once mooted remakes of Videodrome and Timecrimes, for instance - but we'll keep this list up to date as and when we hear of more.
Without further ado, here's what's coming up...
One of Hollywood's most on and off projects, the current state of the live action Akira remake is that it's back in the works. Marco J Ramirez, the showrunner for season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil show, has been hired to pen a screenplay. Warner Bros is still backing the film, »
I’m probably one of the few people on the entire planet who genuinely enjoys the Mummy flicks starring Brendan Fraser. Although they’re more Indiana Jones-esque in nature, there were just enough genre elements for some to classify these flicks as… Continue Reading →
The post Director Alex Kurtzman Says Mummy Reboot Is Still a Horror Movie appeared first on Dread Central. »
- Todd Rigney
Last year, Universal irked a lot of fans when head Donna Langley revealed the studio’s plan for the rebooted Universal Monsters franchise was to “take it out of the horror genre, put it more in the action-adventure genre.” But those same fans may be able to breathe a bit easier now that director Alex Kurtzman has […]
- Angie Han
Back in November, Universal Pictures' Donna Langley revealed some surprising news. The Universal Monsters Shared Universe being developed by the studio will not be part of the horror movie genre. Instead, this franchise, which will include the upcoming Untitled Mummy Reboot and several of the studio's most iconic horror movie characters, was described as "epic action adventure". This gave many fans pause. While doing press for his new CBS TV series Limitless, Alex Kurtzman clarified that the Universal executive's statement isn't entirely true, and that these will certainly be horror movies.
"Yeah, I think it's a fair response and it's actually not - I think there was some lost in translation quality to the way it was received, because I promise you there will be horror in these movies. It is our life goal to make a horror movie. The tricky part is actually how you combine horror with »
1-20 of 101 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners