- Stage: Directed "A Letter from Ethel Kennedy" play by Christopher Gorman (MCC Theater, New York City), 5/02.
- Stage: "Into The Woods" on Broadway, for which she received the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, 1988.
- Stage: Plays Muriel Eubanks in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" musical by Jeffrey Lane and David Yazbek (Imperial Theatre, New York City), 3/05.
- Nick & Nora (1991). Musical. Book by Arthur Laurents. Music by Charles Strouse. Lyrics by Richard Maltby Jr.. Music orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick. Musical and Vocal Direction by Jack Lee. Dance and incidental music by Charles Strouse. Dance and incidental music arranged by Gordon Lowry Harrell. Scenic Design by Douglas W. Schmidt. Costume Design by Theoni V. Aldredge. Based on characters created by Dashiell Hammett. Based on "The Thin Man" motion pictures owned by Turner Entertainment Co. Associate Musical Dir.: Patrick Scott Brady. Choreographed by Tina Paul. Assistant Choreographer: Luis Perez. Directed by Arthur Laurents. Marquis Theatre: 8 Dec 1991- 15 Dec 1991 (9 performances + 71 previews that began on 8 Oct 1991). Cast: Barry Bostwick (as "Nick Charles"), Joanna Gleason (as "Nora Charles"), Christine Baranski (as "Tracy Gardner"), Jeff Brooks (as "Spider Malloy"), Tim Connell (as "Mariachi"), John Jellison (as "Msgr. Flaherty"), Yvette Lawrence Maria Valdez"), Michael Lombard (as "Lt. Wolfe"), Debra Monk (as "Lily Connors"), Kathy Morath (as "Mavis"), Kip Niven (as "Edward J. Connors"), Kris Phillips (as "Mariachi"), Faith Prince (as "Lorraine Bixby"), Remak Ramsay (as "Max Bernheim"), Riley (as "Asta"), Hal Robinson(as "Selznick"), Chris Sarandon (as "Victor Moisa"), Thom Sesma (as "Yukido"), Kristen Wilson (as "Delli/Waitress"). Swings: Mark Hoebee, Cynthia Thole. Standbys: Kay McClelland (as "Nora Charles/Tracy Gardner"), Richard Muenz (as "Nick Charles/Victor Moisa"). Replacement actors: Jossie DeGuzman (as "Maria Valdez) [Was replaced in previews], Yvette Lawrence (as "Cigarette Girl/Delli"). Produced by Terry Allen Kramer, Charlene Nederlander, James M. Nederlander, Daryl Roth and Elizabeth I. McCann. Produced in association with James Pentecost and Charles Suisman.
- Joe Egg (1985). Comedy. Written by Peter Nichols. Directed by Arvin Brown. Longacre Theatre: 27 Mar 1985- 23 Jun 1985 (93 performances + 8 previews that began on 21 Mar 1985). Cast: Stockard Channing (as "Sheila"), Jim Dale (as "Bri"), Joanna Gleason (as "Pam"), Margaret Hilton (as "Grace"), John Tillinger (as "Freddie"), Tenney Walsh (as "Joe") [Broadway debut]. Standbys: Paddy Croft (as "Grace"), Karyn Lynn Dale (as "Joe"), Barbara Eda-Young (as "Pam/Sheila"), Larry Pine (as "Bri/Freddie"). Produced by The Shubert Organization (Gerald Schoenfeld: Chairman. Bernard B. Jacobs: President), Emanuel Azenberg, Roger Berlind and Ivan Bloch. Associate Producer: MTM Enterprises, Inc. Note: Ms. Gleason was nominated for a Tony Award, 1985.
- (2009) Stage: Appearing as Arlene in "Happiness" (John Weidman, Book; Michael Korie, Lyrics; Scott Frankel, Composer) at Lincoln Center's Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater, New York City. Opened March 30.