1-20 of 101 items from 2014 « Prev | Next »
Dracula of the Apes picks up where Bram Stoker’s Dracula left off and Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Tarzan of the Apes began. In this horror/fiction hybrid, genre-jumping indie author G. Wells Taylor puts a terrifying twist on a pair of timeless classics. The complete trilogy is now available to download with Book One: The Urn Free and Books Two: The Ape and Three: The Curse for $3.99 each at Amazon, iBooks, Barnes and Noble, … Continue reading →
Creative accounting is nothing new in Hollywood, studios obfuscate the real budgets of productions with much of the public never let in on the real cost of a major movie. When shooting outside the United States though, especially in countries with more stringent tax laws, hiding those actual figures becomes a bit harder.
Take Disney's "John Carter". The costly sci-fi flop was previously said to have cost around $250 million to produce. Now, Forbes reports that the project cost Disney approximately $306.6 million to produce according to recently-released documents. That's more than the $284 million worldwide gross of the film.
The publication also reveals that Britain's tax authority paid Disney $42.9 million towards the cost of making the movie, more than any of Disney's other movies shot in the UK have received except for the upcoming "Avengers" sequel which has already scored $53.6 million in tax rebates. The magazine estimates Disney has spent around $2.7 billion »
- Garth Franklin
It was recently reported that Disney returned the rights to the "John Carter" property to Edgar Rice Burroughs' estate after the film only managed to earn $284 million worldwide on a budget of $250 million. The studio already said that it lost more than $100 million, but now comes word that the budget was much higher than $250 million. According to Forbes, the British tax authority revealed that they paid Disney $43 million to shoot "John Carter" in London, adding that the total budget was $306.6 million. With a budget that high, plus a massive market campaign and revenue splits, it's been estimated that the studio needed to earn more than $600 million to break even. Disney didn't come anywhere near that number. But that's not stopping Burroughs's company from seeking another partner to bring another installment to the big screen. »
The trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron leaked online, spoiling Marvel's plan of premiering it during the Oct. 28 airing of "Agents of Shield", but a new plan has been announced: And because we believe that the best way to say thanks is to give you more, we're delivering new Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron action to your TV sets, two weeks in a row! Tune in to "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." this Tuesday, October 28 at 9:00 p.m. Et on ABC to see an exclusive piece from Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron. Then, on Tuesday, November 4 at 9:00 p.m. Et on ABC, tune into "Marvel 75 Years: From Pulp to Pop!" for another taste of Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron--and much more! In just 24 hours, the first Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer racked up an astonishing 34.3 million global views. If you missed the trailer watch it below. »
- Brad Brevet
Look, Interstellar isn't out yet, so this column has been sitting around and twiddling its thumbs, waiting for the arrival of Christopher Nolan's science fiction epic. With nothing else to grab the attention of science fiction fans, how about we delve into the latest, greatest and most interesting sci-fi movie news to emerge over the past week or so? Disney Has Lost the John Carter of Mars Rights As one of the 11 people who actually really dug John Carter, I look at the news that Disney lost the rights to Edgar Rice Burroughs' science fiction adventure series with mixed emotions. On one hand, it's nice that the Burroughs estate has those rights back and can do whatever it wants with them (including making another movie...
- Jacob S. Hall
The estate of author Edgar Rice Burroughs, with properties including "Tarzan", are welcoming "John Carter Of Mars" back into the fold, with plans to produce mature, adult screen fare adapting their classic, action-adventure stable of heroes for the big screen:
"...'Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc.' is actively looking for production partners. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops..."
"...become another major franchise to entertain worldwide audiences of all ages..."
Click the images to enlarge...
- Michael Stevens
Considering the studio took a $200 million loss on its first foray to Barsoom, it will come as little surprise to hear that Disney has given up on the movie, television and merchandise rights to John Carter, with the property now reverting back to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. However, this may be good news for fans hoping to see more of Burroughs’ Martian adventures on the big screen, as the company is now seeking a new studio to continue the series.
“John Carter of Mars was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as Superman, Star Wars and Avatar,” said James Sullos, President. “Edgar Rice Burroughs was the Master of Adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a world-wide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the eleven Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops. Along with a »
- Gary Collinson
John Carter was not the hit Disney hoped for at the box office. The studio reportedly lost $200 million on the film, expecting it to launch a blockbuster franchise but instead delivering a Taylor Kitsch-fronted flop. There are some admittedly interesting ideas and imagery in the film, but there's no denying its critical and commercial failure. Still, some left a candle burning in the hopes that the John Carter of Mars franchise was not dead. And now it seems the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs may live on—just not at Disney. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. announced on Tuesday, Oct. »
- Jonathon Dornbush
Let my readers go... to other places. Here are a bunch of articles I enjoyed elsewhere or which are worthwhile for their informational newsiness. But come back soon, okay? Okay.
Dissolve a new Pee Wee Herman movie is "imminent"
The Guardian on Renée Zellweger and 'the Actor's face as His/Her brand'. I made a point of not talking about Zeéeeee's looks yesterday in my own post about the photo but this is an interesting non-aggressive non-misogynist piece about movie stars and how shifts to their brand work (or don't).
- NATHANIEL R
As an anonymous high school student once sort of wrote (no, really), “If you want something very, very badly, let it go free. If it comes back to you, it’s yours forever. If it doesn’t, it was never yours to begin with.” Walt Disney Pictures has apparently decided to put their own twist on this little bit of life advice, letting go of something they didn’t love or want very much, desperately hoping it never comes back to them again. According to a press release over at PR Web (via Cinema Blend), all rights to Edgar Rice Burroughs‘ “John Carter” series have reverted back to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. — and, yes, that includes all movie, television and merchandise rights. For Disney, this might come as a bit of a relief, as their 2012 feature film John Carter is one of the studio’s biggest flops ever (Disney claimed an $84M loss on the film, which »
- Kate Erbland
It's not surprising that Disney let the rights to Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic sci-fi fantasy series John Carter of Mars lapse and revert back to the original owners, Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. After all, the movie was a huge box office failure that reportedly resulted in a $200 million loss for the studio. That's a lot of freakin' money. It's really sad that this is how things turned out because the movie was actually really fun and well made. I would have loved to see the franchise continue, and now that it is back into the hands of the rightful owners, it looks like we might!
"We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in »
- Joey Paur
In recent years, one of the most mis-managed attempts at launching a franchise was Disney’s John Carter. No one can quite agree on what went wrong, though casting, script, and poor marketing probably all share at least part of the blame. Suffice it to say that John Carter did not launch a franchise and star Taylor Kitsch remains a not-quite-household name. But, Edgar Rice Burroughs’ novel series might get another chance at the big screen, though not with Disney, as the company has just lost the rights to the character.
The rights to John Carter were recently regained by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., the publishing company created by Burroughs in 1923. While some of Burroughs’ works have passed into the public domain, the two most famous characters – Tarzan and now John Carter – remain under their control. The company also intends to do right by their founder’s work, announcing that »
- Lauren Humphries-Brooks
Over the years, there have been many attempts to turn Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter of Mars" into a feature film. Then in 2012, Disney took on that challenge and invested a whopping $250 million to make it happen. Worldwide, the film grossed $280 million, but when you factor in all the expenses, Disney admitted that it lost over $100 million. So despite the fact that there was a plan for many more "John Carter" installments, the studio decided to abandon the franchise and simply return the rights back to Burroughs' company. Now comes word from Edger Rice Burroughs Inc that it is "seeking a new studio to continue this seminal sci-fi adventure as chronicled in the eleven 'Mars' novels Burroughs wrote." That's right, the plan is to make another "John Carter" movie. Stay tuned. »
Disney no longer owns the rights to the John Carter franchise, with Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. now planning to make more movies. Disney spent many years attempting to bring an adaptation of the sci-fi saga to the big screen, only for the eventual film to fall flat with both critics and punters alike. However, fans of the series will be gladdened to hear that further movie outings are on the agenda, with The Playlist reporting that Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. is actively looking for production partners… “We will be seeking a new...
- George Wales
Nowadays, the name "John Carter" is synonymous with "flop" in Hollywood. Behind-the-scenes problems led to a ballooned budget of $250 million, and when it was released in March 2012 it only managed to make $73 million at the domestic box office. As the movie moved around the globe, an international take of $211 million certainly helped, but the legend of the disappointing blockbuster was written by that point, and the film found itself at the center of lots of jokes and ridicule. But that particular failure doesn't mean that the titular hero's time on the big screen is finished. PR Web has published a press release announcing not only that the rights to John Carter of Mars have reverted back from Disney to the estate of author Edgar Rice Burroughs, but that there are future plans to bring the character back to the big screen. Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. is currently looking for another »
Two years after Disney's failed film adaptation of the first Edgar Rice Burrogh's "John Carter of Mars" hit cinemas, the film and TV rights to the property have reverted back to the late author's estate.
In a statement released by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc., the company confirmed the reverstion and that they are "seeking a new studio to continue this seminal Sci-Fi adventure".
The 2012 film starred Taylor Kitsch as a former military captain inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes embroiled in a civil war. Critical reviews were mixed, the marketing campaign has been written about as one of the most disastrous in recent history, and domestic box-office was woeful with just $73 million.
Internationally it fared better with a further $211 million, but that still wasn't close to covering the film's enormous $250 million budget. As a result, Disney took a major write down on the film with the perceived failure leading »
- Garth Franklin
Disney's 2012 summer tentpole John Carter might have failed at the box office, but that doesn't mean that cinema audiences will never again get the chance to visit Barsoom alongside the former Civil War captain. Or at least that's what the estate of the character's creator is hoping. In a statement released by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., the company announced that movie rights to the John Carter of Mars series have reverted from Disney back to the estate, and that it will be "seeking a new studio to continue this seminal Sci-Fi adventure." Disney confirmed that the rights had reverted
- Graeme McMillan
“’John Carter of Mars’ was the creative stimulus behind such movie classics as ‘Superman,’ ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Avatar,’” said James Sullos, president of Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc. “Edgar Rice Burroughs was the master of adventure and his literary works continue to enjoy a worldwide following. We will be seeking a new partner to help develop new adventures on film as chronicled in the 11 Mars novels Burroughs wrote. This adventure never stops.”
It stopped at Disney, however, when “John Carter,” produced for $250 million, flopped at the box »
- Marc Graser
My guess is that it will not take as long for us to see a second "John Carter" movie as it did for the first one to get made. It still seems sort of amazing that it took almost 100 years for John Carter to jump from the pages of the stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs to the big-screen, especially considering how many other properties took direct inspiration, sometimes to the point of theft, from the writing of Burroughs. While "John Carter" does not completely work, and it definitely suffers from having to follow many of its antecedents into the pop culture arena, it at least managed to capture some of the spirit of the source material. Andrew Stanton's film may prove invaluable to whoever steps up next to try to turn the property into a viable big-screen franchise. They'll be able to learn from the casting, from the marketing, »
- Drew McWeeny
While there are those who simply didn't like Disney's adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic character John Carter back in 2012, there are even more people who didn't give it a chance because the studio just didn't market it well enough. It's a fun, impressive space adventure worthy of comparison to Indiana Jones and Star Wars in tone and scope, even if it's not the most groundbreaking film. After the film was a huge flop for Disney, there was little to no chance that a sequel would happen, but that doesn't mean we won't see a new John Carter adventure, because the rights to the character no longer belong to Disney. In fact, a press release has announced that the movie, television and merchandise rights to John Carter have reverted back to Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc., the company founded by the author himself. They've overseen every adaptation of his literary works in publishing, »
- Ethan Anderton
1-20 of 101 items from 2014 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners