Quicklinks
Top Links
biography by votes awardsNewsDeskmessage board
Filmographies
overviewby type by year by ratings by votes awards by genre by keyword
Biographical
biography other works publicity photo galleryNewsDeskmessage board
External Links
official sites miscellaneous photographs sound clips video clips

Connect with IMDb



2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 1998 | 1992

1-20 of 67 items from 2012   « Prev | Next »


Sky Deutschland Leads Year's European Entertainment Stock Gainers

31 December 2012 8:46 AM, PST | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

German pay TV company Sky Deutschland, U.K. commercial TV company ITV and German broadcaster ProSiebenSat.1 were among the top-performing entertainment industry stocks of 2012, while Silvio Berlusconi's Italian media empire Mediaset saw its shares decline.   Sky Deutschland's stock opened the year near its 52-week low of 1.37 euros, but finished it at $5.45 (4.13 euros), near its 52-week high of 4.20 euros. That meant the stock's value nearly tripled over the past year. The company, in which Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. owns a nearly 50 percent stake, reported its first

read more

»

- Georg Szalai

Permalink | Report a problem


Italy's Berlusconi Ordered to Pay Nearly $50 Million a Year in Alimony

28 December 2012 10:56 AM, PST | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome -- Francesca Pasquale, take note: Apparently, it can pay to be the former Mrs. Silvio Berlusconi. Just days after the 76-year-old Berlusconi, Italy’s billionaire media tycoon and three-time prime minister, announced he got engaged to Pasquale, 27, terms of divorce from Berlusconi’s second wife, Veronica Lario, were revealed. He will pay her €36 million ($47.2 million) a year in alimony. That works out to be nearly $131,000 a day. Story: Italy's Berlusconi Engaged to Woman 49 Years His Junior, Now Feels 'Less Lonely' The final figure is below the $56.3 million a year Lario

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Man City Transfer News: Balotelli Out, Neymar In?

23 December 2012 5:15 AM, PST | Obsessed with Film | See recent Obsessed with Film news »

Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli could be leaving the club in the January transfer window, whilst Brazilian wonderkid Neymar could be brought in as a replacement, according to reports from the MailOnline.

The Italian has been restricted to just 15 appearances at the Etihad this season, and the recent furor involving him threatening to take the club to a Premier League tribunal this week may have been the final straw as City’s hierarchy are contemplating cutting their losses on the star, according to the Mail.

The report states that Mancini believes the Italian could develop into one of the best players in the world, and he said ‘I’m his manager and if he deserves other chances he will have them.’ But last season Balotelli missed 12 games through suspension for offences such as deliberately stomping on Tottenham’s Scott Parker. He was also dismissed in his sides encounter with Liverpool »

- Joseph Dempsey

Permalink | Report a problem


Italy's Berlusconi to Run for Prime Minster in 2013, Top Aide Says

7 December 2012 1:04 PM, PST | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome – Silvio Berlusconi’s flirtation with returning to the political world he left in disgrace just 13 months ago turned into a serious romance Friday, after a top lieutenant said the 76-year-old media kingpin would run for prime minister next year and a web site touting Berlusconi’s accomplishments during his last nine years in office was made public. Berlusconi announced he would run for prime minister earlier this year but then quickly changed his mind after the plan failed to gain traction. After abandoning plans to run, Berlusconi said he would support the appointed government headed by Mario Monti.

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Silvio Berlusconi Again Mulls Political Run As Italian Media Empire Crumbles

25 November 2012 12:50 AM, PST | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome – Silvio Berlusconi’s on-again-off-again flirtation with returning to the political arena appears to be back on, barely a year after he resigned in disgrace as prime minister and less than a month after he declared he was no longer interested in leading the People of Liberty political party he founded.  The billionaire media tycoon has never been short of self-confidence. But the 76-year-old’s continued flirtations with a return to politics since he left last November amid personal and legal scandals and widespread fears his leadership would lead Italy to become a victim

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Analyst: Italian Pay TV Battle With Mediaset to Remain Drag on News Corp. Earnings

23 November 2012 1:23 AM, PST | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome – The Italian  pay television sector is shaping up to be a key battleground going forward, according to a research note released this week by Sanford C. Bernstein analysts who said the sector was on pace to show slight growth this year after contracting in 2011. Italy’s pay TV sector is notable because it pits companies owned by two of the world’s richest media tycoons against each other: Mediaset’s Silvio Berlusconi and Rupert Murdoch from News Corp., which owns Italian satellite broadcaster Sky Italia. Italian state broadcaster Rai and Telecom Italia Media’s La7 are both players in the free-

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Italian comedian turned politician in row over his 'medieval sexism'

3 November 2012 6:01 PM, PDT | The Guardian - TV News | See recent The Guardian - TV News news »

Beppe Grillo, the anti-politics hero who promised to clean up the system sparks storm over angry outburst

After a decade in which Italian politics was dominated by showgirls and sleaze, Beppe Grillo's brand of web-based democracy and anti-corruption campaigning has been taking Italy by storm, and his movement became Sicily's biggest party in regional elections last weekend and came second in nationwide polls.

But the tousle-haired comedian and blogger has now been dragged into a very familiar sounding Italian row after he was accused of being a "medieval" sexist and no different to politician Silvio Berlusconi.

At first glance, Grillo appears the antithesis of the permatanned former prime minister, who packed his TV shows and his cabinet with showgirls and passed around a phallic statue to break the ice at his famous bunga bunga parties. But the comedian's non-sexist credentials were called into question when Federica Salsi, a local »

- Tom Kington

Permalink | Report a problem


The Noteworthy: Criticwire 2.0, Film Fest Form, A Wellman Dossier

31 October 2012 9:42 AM, PDT | MUBI | See recent MUBI news »

It's the still in a process of refinement, but Indiewire has expanded their gateway to film criticism with Criticwire 2.0, which works as a catalog of critics and criticism that offers a much needed alternative to Rotten Tomatoes. It's less about looking for consensus than it is about offering a simple way of following the critics that interest you and discovering new ones along the way.

The Vienna Film Festival is underway, and while all of us who are not attending lament not being able to check out Mike Ott's DJ set, we have only the coverage of others to turn to for consolation. Turns out there isn't much of that available either, unless you can read German, so for now check out our coverage here in the Notebook, and hopefully there will be more to share next week. Ti West is prepping his next horror film, The Sacrament, »

- Adam Cook

Permalink | Report a problem


Citizen B: The Legacy of Silvio Berlusconi's TV Empire

30 October 2012 8:13 AM, PDT | Indiewire Television | See recent Indiewire Television news »

"People have willingly lobotomized themselves with the aid of TV, we are living in a landscape of enormous fictions of which television is the supplier. Reality is now a kind of huge advertising campaign selling television's image of what life is about. A politician's lies are the new truth; TV wars are the new peace. Alienation is the new togetherness."                     -- Jg Ballard It's not by chance that one of the most influential movies ever made, Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane," recounts the exploits of a media tycoon and his megalomaniac empire-building. And it's perhaps not by chance either that the first case -- of the countless Silvio Berlusconi is implicated in -- that saw the former Italian Prime Minister being sentenced to jail along with Hollywood producer Frank Agrama on October 26 is related to broadcasting rights. Though popular belief in Italy and especially abroad...

»

- Celluloid Liberation Front

Permalink | Report a problem


Citizen B: The Legacy of Silvio Berlusconi's TV Empire

30 October 2012 8:13 AM, PDT | Indiewire | See recent Indiewire news »

"People have willingly lobotomized themselves with the aid of TV, we are living in a landscape of enormous fictions of which television is the supplier. Reality is now a kind of huge advertising campaign selling television's image of what life is about. A politician's lies are the new truth; TV wars are the new peace. Alienation is the new togetherness."                     -- Jg Ballard It's not by chance that one of the most influential movies ever made, Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane," recounts the exploits of a media tycoon and his megalomaniac empire-building. And it's perhaps not by chance either that the first case -- of the countless Silvio Berlusconi is implicated in -- that saw the former Italian Prime Minister being sentenced to jail along with Hollywood producer Frank Agrama on October 26 is related to broadcasting rights. Though popular belief in Italy and especially abroad »

- Celluloid Liberation Front

Permalink | Report a problem


Weekend Meme: Roseanne Barr Offends Transgender Community, President Obama Speaks About Marriage Equality, and Meet the Proto-Gays Of "The Carrie Diaries"

27 October 2012 9:05 PM, PDT | The Backlot | See recent The Backlot news »

Sir Ian McKellen came out of the closet in 1988, in his 40s. But he says while it's wonderful to be liberated, being in the closet helped make him a better actor. “There was no Graham Norton on the television at that time, no gay MPs, no-one talking about gay rights on the radio. So I dealt with it my trying to cut that part of myself off, to hide myself, to choke a part of me. When you are made to feel you are so wrong for being who you are, that’s what you do. I think that’s why so many great British actors are gay - we spent so long pretending to be straight, to be someone else, that eventually we became very good at it.”

The Washington Blade was turned away from an anti-marriage rally being attended by Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli.

I hope that »

- lostinmiami

Permalink | Report a problem


Global Showbiz Briefs: Berlusconi, Doha Tribeca, Jafar Panahi, New Revolver Boss

27 October 2012 5:05 PM, PDT | Deadline TV | See recent Deadline TV news »

Angry Berlusconi says “There Will Be Consequences” A day after receiving a jail sentence for tax fraud, Italian media mogul and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi says he feels “obliged” to stay in politics to “reform the justice system so that what happened to me doesn’t happen to other citizens”. He’s expected to appeal his conviction and four-year prison sentence for inflating the price of distribution rights bought by his Mediaset group to avoid paying taxes. He’s also barred from holding office for five years. He says his court ordeal was “intolerable judicial harassment” by left-leaning judges in Milan. “There will be consequences,” he said in an interview today on TG5, one of the TV channels owned by his conglomerate Mediaset. Doha Tribeca Fest Slots World Cinema, Special Screenings The 4th edition of the Doha Tribeca Film Festival has chosen Peter Ramsay’s animated Rise Of The Guardians »

- THE DEADLINE TEAM

Permalink | Report a problem


Silvio Berlusconi Sentenced To Four Years In Jail For Fraud On Movie Rights Deals

26 October 2012 8:55 AM, PDT | Deadline TV | See recent Deadline TV news »

Italian media mogul and erstwhile Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was handed a four-year jail sentence by a Milan court today, although it’s unlikely he’ll serve the time. Berlusconi and other executives at his Italian media conglomerate Mediaset were alleged to have inflated prices paid for broadcast rights to U.S. movies and TV shows via offshore companies controlled by Berlusconi’s holding company Fininvest. The accused were then alleged to have skimmed off part of the money to create illegal slush funds. The deals in question were worth 470M euros and occurred between 1994 and 1999, according to Reuters. The judge gave the controversial mogul a slightly longer sentence than the 3 years and 8 months prosecutors were seeking and also levied a fine of $12.96M. Berlusconi is expected to appeal the verdict in a case that began more than six years ago. He has two appeals available to him before the »

- NANCY TARTAGLIONE, International Editor

Permalink | Report a problem


Berlusconi Gets 4-Year Sentence for Tax Fraud

26 October 2012 8:34 AM, PDT | The Wrap | See recent The Wrap news »

This could put a serious dent in Silvio Berlusconi's "bunga bunga" parties. The former Italian prime minister and media tycoon was found guilty Friday of tax fraud and sentenced to four years behind bars, according to the Wall Street Journal. He was convicted of creating an illegal slush fund with money used to buy U.S. film rights. The complicated transaction was supposed to allow his broadcasting company, Mediaset, to pay lower taxes. The sentence may close an ignominious chapter for the colorful Berlusconi. For nearly two decades, the billionaire businessman cast a »

- Brent Lang

Permalink | Report a problem


Italian Court Sentences Silvio Berlusconi to Four Years in Prison

26 October 2012 7:23 AM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome - A Milan judge on Friday sentenced controversial Italian media tycoon and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to four years behind bars in a 2006 tax fraud case tied to TV broadcast rights to movies.   Despite more than two-dozen sets of criminal and civil charges against the 76-year-old dating back nearly two decades, this is the first time Berlusconi has ever been convicted of anything. Previous charges were often dismissed because of technicalities or because the statute of limitations ran out.   This is also the first time a former Italian prime minister has been convicted

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


George Clooney called as witness in Silvio Berlusconi trial - Realbollywood.com News

22 October 2012 2:19 AM, PDT | RealBollywood.com | See recent RealBollywood news »

Washington, October 22: Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi made a rare appearance at his sensational sex trial in Milan on Friday, denying that he had ever had sex with an underage belly dancer and claiming actor George Clooney can help him prove it.

"To have a big movie star come from Hollywood all the way to Italy to testify on your behalf, I mean that's credibility for you," ABC news quoted legal analyst Jean Casarez as saying.

"It also could give some respect. »

- Meeta Kabra

Permalink | Report a problem


$3 Million in Funding for Rome Film Fest Might Be in Question Due to Political Turmoil

5 October 2012 8:50 AM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome – Last week’s resignation of Lazio Regional Governor Renata Polverini could call into question Lazio’s significant financial backing of the International Rome Film Festival, Italian newspapers reported Friday. Polverini, a one-time ally of Italian billionaire media tycoon and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, resigned Sept. 25 amid scandals within Berlusconi’s People of Liberty political party, as well as the Regional Council she headed that in part involved massive budget shortfalls. After she stepped down from the post, Polverini vowed to “expose” the wrongdoing she had witnessed. Lazio is the Italian region that includes Rome. During the contentious battle

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Sale of Italy's La 7 TV Network Set to Shake Up Broadcast Sector

19 September 2012 1:32 PM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

Rome – With Wednesday’s apparent departure of the two most high-profile bidders in the sale for the television assets of Telecom Italia Media, it now appears that whatever company wins the bidding that Italy will have a new player in its burgeoning small screen sector. On Wednesday, Silvio Berlusconi’s Mediaset officially bowed out of the bidding for La 7, the smallest of Italy’s seven national television networks, MTV-Italia, and a multiplex broadcasting infrastructure. Mediaset’s bid was considered a long-shot in any case, given the significant antitrust concerns that would come with a company that owns three national

read more

»

- Eric J. Lyman

Permalink | Report a problem


Danish Magazine to Publish Topless Kate Middleton Photos

19 September 2012 7:50 AM, PDT | The Hollywood Reporter | See recent The Hollywood Reporter news »

  London - The royals may have won a court victory in France on Tuesday, but a Danish celebrity magazine said Wednesday that it would publish topless photos of Kate Middleton, which had led to the lawsuit in France, Sky News reported.   Gallery: Top Ten: Kate Middleton The report also said that French police have raided the offices of the French version of Closer magazine, which is owned by Italian media tycoon Silvio Berlusconi's holding firm Fininvest and first published the pictures a day after Prince William and Middleton won an injunction that will keep the magazine from publishing more pictures of

read more

»

- Georg Szalai

Permalink | Report a problem


Duchess Catherine wins injunction over topless photos

18 September 2012 5:01 AM, PDT | Monsters and Critics | See recent Monsters and Critics news »

Britain's Duchess Catherine and Prince William have won an injunction preventing a magazine from publishing further topless pictures of the brunette royal. Mondadori France, French Closer magazine's publishing company, will be fined â?¬10,000 (£8,037) a day if they publish further topless paparazzi images of Catherine sunbathing or transmit them to a third party via email or any other means, it has been ruled in a French court today (18.09.12). It was also decided that Mondadori - owned by former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi - will have to pay â?¬2,000 (£1,607) towards legal fees. A court in Nanterre, near Paris, opened a separate criminal investigation earlier today over the publication of the images in the magazine »

Permalink | Report a problem


2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 1998 | 1992

1-20 of 67 items from 2012   « Prev | Next »


IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners