1-20 of 227 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
There has been a great deal of Star Wars-related nitpicking ever since the first trailer for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens arrived online last year, but arguably the dumbest of the bunch are those complaining that the footage features a black actor (namely John Boyega) in a Stormtrooper uniform. Thankfully, these comments have been shouted down many times across the internet over the last few months, but now comedian Patton Oswalt has come in with his two cents on the issue - and he thinks its patently ridiculous. Vulture recently caught up with Oswalt as he prepared to host this year's Artios Awards in Beverly Hills, and while the interview wound up touching on many subjects - including the key Oscar snubs for Ava DuVerney's Selma - some of his best stuff came out while talking about the black Stormtrooper "controversy." He told the interviewer, »
In 1998, Russell was just starting to feel the heat of the media spotlight as the beloved WB series first hit the airwaves. Before the first episode even aired, the then-22-year-old actress sat down with Et to talk about her new role.
Video: Flashback: 24-Year-Old Johnny Depp Is Not a Fan of Hollywood
"The show isn't even on the air yet. I'm not even on television and people want you to be in their magazine and it kind of it makes you feel almost a little bad because they don't even know if you're good, but everyone kind of wants a piece of you," Russell said. " I just hope everyone likes the show as much as I do."
Felicity ran for four celebrated seasons, and was even »
There's been a lot of talk about how J.J. Abrams has been trying to keep things practical on the set of The Force Awakens regarding the special effects, but we actually have a bit of a story that's a nice change of pace. Now, not to go bashing George Lucas or anything, but he's not exactly known as the "actor's director". Oscar Isaac (that nifty X-Wing pilot you see in the trailer) talked a bit about what the experience was like filming Star »
- Sean Wist
Reports suggest Chris Pratt, hot off Guardians of the Galaxy and the forthcoming Jurassic World, could be picking up Indy’s hat and whip – and he could provide just the right mix of gravitas and comedy
There hasn’t always been a great deal of buzz around the idea of reviving Indiana Jones on the big screen, largely due to lingering fears that Shia Labeouf might somehow be allowed to graduate from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull’s charmless sidekick to the lead role in some nightmarish, CGI gopher-ridden future instalment. But a side product of the deal that released Star Wars from the clutches of George Lucas in 2012 also brought Indy to Disney, and a new report on Deadline suggests the studio is now looking to install Guardians of the Galaxy’s Chris Pratt in the lead role.
What a strange time it must be for Harrison Ford. The »
- Ben Child
But this movie has been a divisive one from the moment it was announced last summer. The idea of a film without the original quartet irked many, especially with Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson eager to reprise their roles. Digital Spy movies editor Simon Reynolds and TV editor Morgan Jeffery weigh up the two sides of the debate below.
— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) January 27, 2015
Maybe it's because I've never held Ghostbusters in quite as high regard as other '80s classics (I'm more of Back to the Future geek myself), but the idea of rebooting Ghostbusters has quickly won me over.
Once it became clear that Bill Murray, the star player of the series, »
We all react to incidents in different ways. Some choose to lash out at others in the wake of pain or tragedy. Some choose to internalize everything until it explodes out of them in a fury or tears. But if you.re like Star Wars: Episode 7 director J.J. Abrams, you might turn all this pent-up energy into an emotional speech about how beautiful the moon is. At least, this was what happened after Harrison Ford broke his leg. We all know the story of how Han Solo got injured on the set of the new Star Wars movie: the Millennium Falcon door broke off its hinges and impaled him, breaking his leg and sending him to the hospital. With the 72-year-old.s health in jeopardy, not to mention his future in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Abrams was undoubtedly worried for the man. However, after the incident when »
Manuel here. One of my favorite thing about this year’s Oscar nominations was the beautiful artwork that adorned the screen as J.J. Abrams, Alfonso Cuarón, Chris Pine and Cheryl Boone Isaacs read out names like Marion Cotillard, Laura Dern and Dan Gilroy though sadly not Ava DuVernay’s nor David Oyelowo’s (might they have a better chance with their next collaboration, that Katrina murder mystery film?)
As it turns out, the Academy is really upping its game when it comes to art you wish you could hang in your living room. Last year’s ceremony poster was quite the snooze-fest and I have to admit, other than that fantastic Olly Moss’s gorgeous poster from 2012, AMPAS’ artwork as of late has been rather dull. You have to go back to 2007 to find my other recent favorite poster (those quotes!). While the official poster for this year’s Neil Patrick Harris »
- Manuel Betancourt
I've seen neon interpretations of pop culture figures before, but I've never seen a neon version of a film trailer...until now. This cool idea comes to us from an artist who goes by the name Neonardo (via Sploid), and he's given Star Wars fans yet another way to enjoy J.J. Abrams' teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens until we get another official look at the film. Check this out:
- Ben Pearson
It was revealed not too long that writer Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli) had left Gareth Edwards’ untitled Star Wars spinoff upon completion of the movie’s first draft. Various sites reported at the time that Simon Kinberg might be brought in as a replacement, but it is in fact Chris Weitz who has landed the job!
Even if the name isn’t familiar, his work should be.
The Academy Award nominated screenwriter’s writing credits include About A Boy and The Twilight Saga: New Moon. He also penned Kenneth Branagh’s (Thor) upcoming live-action remake of classic Disney fairytale Cinderella.
Weitz is also an author (he’s currently working on a new series of Ya novels) and director, and helmed the Oscar nominated A Better Life and The Golden Compass. That’s a varied and impressive CV to say the least!
It’s still not clear what this movie will focus on, »
- Josh Wilding
The film history of Superman has been topsy-turvy to say the least. Laying dormant for nearly two decades after the debacle of Cannon Films’ Superman IV: The Quest For Peace, there were many attempts to ressuciate the Man of Steel before Bryan Singer’s 2006 Superman Returns, and the consequent reboot Man of Steel in 2013.
One director who had hopes of bringing his vision to the screen in the 2000s was director Brett Ratner (Red Dragon, Hercules). He looked set to take the reigns thanks to a script from J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and he was very close to casting his Superman, in the form of Jude Law, who was the director’s first choice.
Law has been very quiet on the project ever since he toyed with the film around 2000-2002, and even tried on the costume, but has broken his silence in a chat with MTV »
- Scott J. Davis
Fortune and glory might be in Chris Pratt's future! The Jurassic World star, 35, is being considered to play legendary archeologist Indiana Jones in a Disney reboot, Deadline reports. Disney has tapped Star Wars and Star Trek director J.J. Abrams for the next phase of the franchise that started in 1981 with Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Ford, 72, who is also appearing in Abrams' highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens as his iconic character Han Solo, last appeared as [...] »
From the set of The Force Awakens, to its concept art and everything in between, it’s a busy day in Star Wars Bits. Below, read about the following: Read how J.J. Abrams reacted when Harrison Ford got hurt on the set of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Ewan McGregor is still waiting for his Star […]
- Germain Lussier
Whitta exited the project after completing a draft script earlier this month.
The first spinoff movie is due for release on December 16, 2016, a year after the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Gallery - Star Wars »
Earlier this month, it was revealed that writer Gary Whitta had completed his work on the film, and that a new scribe was being brought aboard to work with his draft. At first, that was said to be Simon Kinberg (who is working on locking down the script for X-Men: Apocalypse), although he's reportedly more in an advisory role on the movie.
Now we learn that Chris Weitz has been hired to get the screenplay to a state where the film is ready to go. Weitz, who was Oscar nominated for his script for About A Boy, is also known for directing that movie, »
One of the many attempts to bring Superman to the screen that never quite got there was Brett Ratner's proposed Man Of Steel movie. He was set to take on the project in the early 2000s before Warner Bros handed the job of rebooting Superman to Bryan Singer with Superman Returns. Working from a screenplay from Jj Abrams, just over a decade ago Ratner was gearing up to make the film, and his first choice to play Superman was Jude Law.
Law has now been talking about being offered the role of Superman, and why he turned it down.
"At the time I didn't really want to", he told MTV. "I didn't want to spend the rest of my life being the guy who played Superman", said the actor, who »
After completing a first draft of the script, Gary Whitta left Gareth Edwards' Star Wars project to work on Matthew Vaughn's adaptation of Mark Millar's Starlight; but it seems a more than suitable replacement has been found. Simon Kinberg had been rumored but according to The Hollywood Reporter, Chris Weitz (who received an Oscar nomination for his adapted screenplay for About A Boy) will take over writing duties on the film, the plot of which still remains a mystery. The most recent rumors however, point to both fan-favorite bounty hunter Boba Fett and Han Solo being the focus. Can we expect this to be a trend with this new batch of Star Wars films? After working on a treatment for The Force Awakens, Michael Arndt handed over the pen to J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. Weitz also wrote the script for Disney's upcoming live-action take on Cinderella, »
I was talking with a friend yesterday about our most anticipated films of the year, and when checking out a release calendar to remember all of the movies coming out this year, I realized when I got to December that I had completely forgotten a new Mission: Impossible movie is coming out in 2015. But Paramount has just decided to move M:i 5 from its December 25th release up to July 31st, 2015, so we can expect the marketing blitz to begin in the near future, insuring that nobody else forgets about the movie any time soon.
Presumably, the studio shifted the release date to avoid what's sure to be a record-setting box office performance by J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and considering Abrams is producing M:i 5, the move makes sense. Tom Cruise should be a big enough draw to pull audiences in when the film faces »
- Ben Pearson
The Marvel actors whip out Photoshop and take their Twitter rivalry to the next level
Who out of this year’s Super Bowl combatants is really Captain America: Russell Wilson or Tom Brady? Using Photoshop to battle it out over the Patriots and Seahawks, Marvel superheroes Chris Pratt and Chris Evans renewed their Super Bowl Twitter feud on Monday.
- Linda Ge
Well, it was only a matter of time…
In what is sure to be a wise move on Paramount Pictures’ part, the studio has shifted the release of the fifth instalment of the Mission: Impossible franchise to avoid confrontation with Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens, bringing the date forward almost a full five months to July 31st 2015.
Mission: Impossible 5 was originally slated to arrive on Christmas Day, one week after the release of J.J. Abrams’ surefire blockbuster. Mi:5 becomes the second film to move clear of The Force Awakens after Kung Fu Panda 3, which will now land in March 2016.
Mission: Impossible 5 is directed by Christopher McQuarrie (Jack Reacher), and sees franchise veterans Tom Cruise, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner returning alongside Rebecca Ferguson (Hercules), Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) and Sean Harris (Prometheus).
- Gary Collinson
In 2002, J.J. Abrams' wrote a Superman movie that was going to be directed by Brett Ratner, but it was never-made. Ratner's first choice for the role of Superman/Clark Kent was Jude Law, and now Law has been asked why he turned down the role. “At the time, I really didn’t want to,” Law told MTV. “I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life being that guy who played Superman.” Before turning down the role, Ratner had talked Law into testing out the Superman costume. “I go in the bathroom, put it on and look in the mirror, and suddenly, I am Superman,” Law said. “And it is an amazing costume. My chest pops up and the music comes on… That was it. I got it out of my system. I took it off, put it in the bag, and was like, ‘I’m not going to do it. »
1-20 of 227 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners