IMDb > Paul McCartney > News
Quicklinks
Top Links
biography by votes awardsNewsDesk
Filmographies
overviewby type by year by ratings by votes awards by genre by keyword
Biographical
biography other works publicity photo galleryNewsDesk
External Links
official sites miscellaneous photographs sound clips video clips

Connect with IMDb



2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1997

13 items from 2003


ITV viewers to get McCartney for Christmas

3 December 2003 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »

LONDON -- A Paul McCartney special from Moscow, a raft of local stars and Hollywood film favorites dominate the Christmas schedule announced Tuesday by ITV. Paul McCartney in Red Square, an hourlong program featuring the singer's first performance in the Russian capital, will air Dec. 27 on ITV1. An adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Mayor of Casterbridge, starring Ciaran Hinds and Polly Walker, will run Dec. 28-29 on ITV1, and Julie Walters stars in the psychological thriller The Return on Dec. 30. England's recent World Cup Rugby championship will be saluted in We Are the Champions: The Nation Celebrates on Dec. 20, and soccer star David Beckham and his former Spice Girl wife, Victoria, are featured in a Christmas Eve special titled The Real Beckhams, about the soccer player's move to Spain's Real Madrid Team. »

Permalink | Report a problem


McCartney Baby a Girl

31 October 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Sir Paul McCartney and Heather Mills' new baby is in fact a girl called Beatrice, not a boy as previously reported. Breaking reports in the British press claimed the former Beatle's second wife had given birth to a boy called Joseph. But a statement now released by the couple reads, "Heather and Paul McCartney are delighted to announce the birth of their baby daughter Beatrice Milly McCartney. "The baby, who arrived three weeks early, weighed in at a healthy seven pounds and both she and mum are doing well. They said, 'She is a little beauty and we couldn't be prouder.' They added, 'Our immediate family were told the news right away and are all as overjoyed as we are at the early arrival of our little bundle of joy.'" The tot is named after Heather's mother Beatrice and Sir Paul's aunt Milly. Baby Beatrice was born on Tuesday at St John And St Elizabeth hospital in North London. »

Permalink | Report a problem


Pam Gets Tough with KFC

17 October 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Pamela Anderson is urging fans to boycott Kentucky Fried Chicken fast food restaurants after learning how cruel techniques are used to make the chain's poultry treats. The former Baywatch babe has also written to John Bitove, the chairman of KFC Canada, urging him to call for improvements in the way the company treats its chickens - as she starts a campaign to discredit the fast food chain with the support of animal rights group People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals (PETA). In the letter, she rants, "If people knew how KFC treats its chickens, they'd never eat another drumstick." She goes on to cites the scalding of live birds and the use of crippling drugs among her top concerns. She adds, "I am shocked to learn from my pals at PETA that KFC has refused to take steps to eliminate some of the worst abuses suffered by the hundreds of millions of chickens who are killed for your restaurants. Please face the facts: KFC is torturing birds and then trying to pretend that there is nothing wrong with that. In the 21st century, we're advanced enough to oppose all cruelty and injustice, whether the victims are animals or people." Anderson, who is also fronting a new campaign to stop the use of wild animals in Las Vegas, Nevada, stage shows following the tiger attack which left Siegfried & Roy star Roy Horn fighting for his life, joins Sir Paul McCartney in PETA's international campaign to get KFC to eliminate the worst abuses of chickens. »

Permalink | Report a problem


German photographers in Dylan protest

14 October 2003 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »

HAMBURG, Germany -- Photojournalists in Germany have announced plans to boycott Bob Dylan's upcoming tour of the country, after he stated that he would not allow his photograph to be taken during performances. The photographers are considering the same action against other international stars. At its latest gathering on Friday in Berlin, the German Assn. of Journalists called on its more than 41,000 members to boycott Dylan's Oct 17-Nov. 8 tour, as well as those by major acts such as Peter Gabriel, Paul McCartney, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses and the Kelly Family. "The freedom of photographic journalists to pursue their profession is more important than Bob Dylan's personal preferences," says a spokesperson for the group. A spokesman for Cologne-based concert promoter Peter Riege says it is no secret that the artist does not allow his concerts to be filmed or photographed. "If the artist doesn't want any photos taken, our hands are tied, and we have to accept this," he says. »

Permalink | Report a problem


German photographers protest Dylan policy

14 October 2003 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »

HAMBURG, Germany -- Photojournalists in Germany have announced plans to boycott Bob Dylan's upcoming tour of the country, after he stated that he would not allow his photograph to be taken during performances. The photographers are considering the same action against other international stars. At its latest gathering on Friday in Berlin, the German Assn. of Journalists called on its more than 41,000 members to boycott Dylan's Oct 17-Nov. 8 tour, as well as those by major acts such as Peter Gabriel, Paul McCartney, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses and the Kelly Family. "The freedom of photographic journalists to pursue their profession is more important than Bob Dylan's personal preferences," says a spokesperson for the group. A spokesman for Cologne-based concert promoter Peter Riege says it is no secret that the artist does not allow his concerts to be filmed or photographed. "If the artist doesn't want any photos taken, our hands are tied, and we have to accept this," he says. »

Permalink | Report a problem


Catherine Shamed for Being Cheap

3 October 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Catherine Zeta-Jones has been shamed for her cheapskate antics at a charity auction - for bidding just $25 for Sir Paul McCartney's autograph. The actress and husband Michael Douglas were being honored at the Adopt-a- Minefield bash in Hollywood last month, which McCartney was performing at, when Zeta-Jones decided to bid for her hero's signature. Comic Jay Leno, who hosted the event, has joked about the incident on his late night TV show in America. And now, the Welsh actress says, "It's so embarrassing. I'm a cheap Welsh girl with good morals and I thought $25 would suffice. It wasn't until after I raised my hand and bid $25 that I realized how stupid I was. I am thrifty by nature." »

Permalink | Report a problem


Catherine and Michael Raise Landmine Money

25 September 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones have joined a host of other celebrities raising money for the Adopt-a-landmine scheme. The campaign on Tuesday night held a gala dinner at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills, where the A-list couple were thanked for their significant support. The event was hosted by Sir Paul McCartney and his wife Heather, with music supplied by the ex-Beatle himself and James Taylor. Michael and Catherine have managed to raise close to $480,000, enabling 373 square miles of land to be cleared of mines in Afghanistan. In his new role as an official United Nations ambassador for peace, Douglas said he was "very disappointed" that America remained one of the few countries not committed to ridding the world of landmines. Other celebrities to lend their support included fellow actors Pierce Brosnan and Leonardo DiCaprio. The event was part of the Night Of A Thousand Dinners campaign, to which attendees can invite friends and well-wishers to raise funds. The initiative was launched in 2000 by the Canadian Landmine Foundation, in association with the Adopt-A-Landmine program, to aid the removal of landmines and provide support to victims. »

Permalink | Report a problem


Blaine To Quit?

23 September 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Madcap magician David Blaine is reportedly considering abandoning his death- defying Above The Below stunt, amid fears about his image, his safety and the viciousness of the London crowds. The 30-year-old American is currently ensconced in a Perspex box above the city's River Thames, where he is attempting to live for 44 days without food. But those who planned the stunt had no idea just how antagonistic the British spectators would be - Blaine's box has been pelted with eggs and food, been attacked by remote control helicopters and had golf balls pelted at it since he entered it 17 days ago. Even Sir Paul McCartney got in on the action with an uncharacteristic fracas and swearing episode last week after he was pictured at the event. And across the Atlantic in New York, bosses at PMK management company, which also deals with Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow and Brad Pitt, are desperately trying to find a way to save Blaine's prestige. One PMK insider tells London newspaper The Evening Standard, "What we saw appalled us. David is a huge star, a brand name in America on which an entire campaign was based, and suddenly all the hard work and planning was being blown away. It left us dumbfounded. It is that bad. It has got to the stage of, 'Do we just get him the hell out of there?' Whatever the repercussions, the worst case scenario is being taken very seriously indeed." PMK advisers have had a series of crisis meetings with Channel Four and Sky Television, the British TV companies that paid to broadcast coverage of the stunt, about whose fault the bad response is. Another insider reveals of the meetings, "Blaine's management are beyond livid. Basically, in their view, the British TV people didn't seem to care what happened to him as long as the ratings were up. This isn't Big Brother. Frankly, he could die in there and they wouldn't give a s***. A spectator could die." »

Permalink | Report a problem


McCartney concert on A&E

9 July 2003 | The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News | See recent The Hollywood Reporter - Movie News news »

A&E will air in the fall a two-hour concert/documentary featuring Paul McCartney's historic performance earlier this year in Russia's Red Square. The ex-Beatle also serves as executive producer of Paul McCartney: The Journey to Red Square, which mixes concert footage with tape of McCartney visiting Russia for the first time. President Vladimir Putin also makes an appearance. "This is two parts concert and one part documentary on his visit to the (former) U.S.S.R.," A&E senior vp original programming Bob DeBitetto said. "We're so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with Paul." On May 24, McCartney played such classics as "Hey Jude" and "Back in the U.S.S.R". to a crowd of 100,000 in and around Red Square. McCartney had been denied a request to perform there during the 1980s; Beatles music was banned during the communist era. Among the highlights of Journey is McCartney's visit to St. Petersburg, where he received an honorary doctorate from the Russian Conservatoire. In other A&E music news, the network will host a second concert with Sting, who earned the network an Emmy last year for his performance in Tuscany, Italy. »

Permalink | Report a problem


McCartney and Mills Expecting Baby

29 May 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Sir Paul McCartney's wife Heather Mills is pregnant with the couple's first baby. The 60-year-old ex-Beatles star married anti-landmine campaigner Mills, 35, in June last year - at a lavish private ceremony at Ireland's San Salvator's church, Glaslough. Former model Mills - who lost her left leg below the knee after being hit by a police motorcyclist in 1993 - suffered two ectopic pregnancies when she was younger. The couple have announced, "We are delighted with this happy news." The glamorous pair are expecting the baby later this year. »

Permalink | Report a problem


McCartney Told to Give Peace to Pope

1 April 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Veteran rocker Sir Paul McCartney may be forced to turn down the volume when his European tour reaches Rome, Italy - in case he wakes the Pope. Organizers are considering dropping some of his loudest rock numbers, including "Back In The USSR" and "Live And Let Die," for fear of disturbing the holy man in his bed. They're worried the frail 82-year-old pontiff will be kept awake by the noise drifting over to the Vatican. The former Beatle is due to perform a free three-hour show outside the Coliseum in May and crowds of more than 300,000 are expected. Tour promoter Barrie Marshall says, "We have been advised by Italian contacts that the show could keep His Holiness the Pope up all night. Obviously we do not want to cause any offense or sleeplessness to His Holiness and, because of the closeness of The Vatican to the show at the Coliseum, we are now considering our position on performing loud rock songs." But it seems McCartney doesn't want anyone tampering with the volume controls, and plans for his performance to go-ahead unchanged. A spokesman for the singer says, "We don't want to tone down the rock and roll element in the set - we reckon the Pope may actually enjoy a boogie. But we don't want problems with the neighbors." »

Permalink | Report a problem


Twain Gets Super Bowl Gig

7 January 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Shania Twain has signed up to perform during the half-time break at the world's biggest annual sporting event, the Super Bowl, later this month. The country superstar will perform two of her hits at San Diego, California's 70,000-seat Qualcomm Stadium. No other performers have yet been announced for the half-time show, but it's safe to assume that many more are forthcoming. Last year's event in New Orleans, Louisiana, boasted U2 as the halftime entertainment, plus a host of pre-game festivities that included performances by Paul McCartney, Mary J. Blige and Barry Manilow. Mariah Carey sang the National Anthem. The Dixie Chicks and Celine Dion have been lined up to perform as part of the pre-game program. »

Permalink | Report a problem


Brittany's Private Jet Thrill

6 January 2003 | WENN | See recent WENN news »

Brittany Murphy's Christmas getaway to visit her boyfriend's parents in Iowa was made extra special when she realized he'd booked a private plane Sir Paul McCartney and U2's Bono had been in just a week before. The Just Married actress, who is terrified of flying, was really nervous about visiting boyfriend Ashton Kutcher's family, but he made sure the two-hour flight was as cool as possible. Murphy says, "Bono and Paul McCartney had taken the jet the week before and so I really got into it. There were all these military men landing the plane and flying it and I felt very good about that." The couple jetted off to New Jersey just after Christmas to spend New Year with her family. »

Permalink | Report a problem


2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1997

13 items from 2003


IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners