Top Linksmain detailsbiographyby votesphoto galleryquotes
Filmographiesby yearby typeby ratingsby votesby TV seriesby genreby keyword
Did You Know?photo galleryquotes
Captain Vere (Character)
from Billy Budd (1962)
|Photos (See all 2 | slideshow)||Videos|
- Billy Budd (1998) (TV) Played by Philip Langridge
- Billy Budd (1988) (TV) Played by Philip Langridge
- Billy Budd (1980) (TV) Played by Carol Linssen (as Kapitein Vere)
- Billy Budd (1966) (TV) Played by Peter Pears
- Billy Budd (1962) Played by Peter Ustinov (as Edwin Fairfax Vere)
- "The DuPont Show of the Month"
- Billy Budd (1959) TV episode, Played by James Donald
... aka "General Motors Presents" - Canada (original title)
... aka "CBC Theatre" - Canada (English title)
... aka "Ford Television Theatre" - Canada (English title)
... aka "General Motors Theatre" - Canada (English title) (new title)
- Billy Budd (1955) TV episode, Played by Basil Rathbone (as Captain Edward Fairfax Vere)
- "Schlitz Playhouse"
... aka "Schlitz Playhouse of Stars" - USA (original title)
... aka "Herald Playhouse" - USA (syndication title)
... aka "The Playhouse" - USA (syndication title)
- Billy Budd (1952) TV episode, Played by Walter Hampden
Captain Vere: In the question of Jenkins, Budd was telling the truth.
Lieutenant Seymour: I know, sir. What are you going to do about Claggart?
Captain Vere: What can I do but watch and wait? No court martial would do more than strip him of his rank for such misconduct. And then what? As a rating, he'd be slaughtered by the other men. And who would replace him? And would the French refrain from attacking us while we settled our petty differences? No, I must give him his head until some act puts him squarely counter to the law and then let the law consume him. What would you do if you were captain of this ship?
See more »
You may correct errors and omissions on this page directly. Clicking the 'Update' button will take you through a step-by-step process.